Thursday, 24 September 2026

ASLAN




Apparently Hollywood - well I assume it could only be Hollywood - is making a new version of The Chronicles of Narnia, and is casting Meryl Streep as Aslan the Lion - the godfigure in C.S.Lewis' theology.  Well, she is going to voice him.

Aslan the Lioness?    The photo above is one Col took on one of his trips to South Africa. The lion looks rather splendid,and I confidently feel that, if it did speak, it would sound nothing at all like Meryl Streep.

Should Christians be upset about this?  I assume the point is to upset them, but why let it?  As a Christian all I ask of Hollywood is that I be allowed not to watch its product.  And I hope and pray to continue to be able to tell all who will listen about the Kingdom of God, the heavenly government - what it is doing already and what it will do.

But also why is the Narnia series considered to be Christian?   I loved reading them all as a child - C.S.Lewis really takes you into that World Within the Wardrobe, but the theology is strongly Trinitarian, and the Trinity is not a Christian teaching. In fact it contradicts what Jesus himself said about his relationship to his Father.

We are having such a lovely Autumn here in the UK. Heartbreakingly lovely. 

The Captain and I are both on new meds - and he is back on the daily Blood Pressure routine.  That may be why the loveliness of Autumn seems especially heartbreaking this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment