3. W. B. Yeats, ‘September 1913’.
Yet could we turn the years again,
And call those exiles as they were
In all their loneliness and pain,
You’d cry, ‘Some woman’s yellow hair
Has maddened every mother’s son’:
They weighed so lightly what they gave.
But let them be, they’re dead and gone,
They’re with O’Leary in the grave …
https://interestingliterature.com/2019/08/the-best-poems-for-september/
This is a sad take on September - a specific September - a lament for the romantic Ireland "dead and gone" (if I am understanding this right). This was written the year before The Great War, WW1, fell on an unsuspecting world - and so much and so many were dead and gone after that.
We have just been talking to our student, the Flower Lady, about the Biblical significance of the date 1914.
The photo one is one of Col's from our beach - I wanted something for "her yellow hair".
It was a stormy night last Thursday, lots of white horses on the Channel Friday morning. And not a single moth in our hotel. I managed to get letters done to both Richard and Beryl which I had intended to do in August, but somehow August ran away from me before I managed it. My meeting attendance was in Zoom Thursday and Sunday.
A pair of pigeons are trying to set up home on our balcony and so far all our shouting, waving of arms (the Captain) and quiet reasoning (me) has failed to deter them. It is sad though if we are now so short of suitable homes and roosts for pigeons that they are reduced to balconies.
And on Monday I was in such pain, sole of right foot, that I was back on my Zimmer, painfully tottering around. We had the family Zoom sessions this week - and we also got a letter of appreciation from Butterfly Conservation thanking us for our donation in memory of Richard.
As long as Richard remains in Jehovah's memory, held safe in "the everlasting arms", he will live again, but not until the whole earth is being restored to paradise under the loving and perfect rule of the heavenly government, the Kingdom of God. As I probably wondered before, maybe Jehovah will wake him up in a cloud of butterflies.
It was raining again Tuesday morning and The Green is beginning to look like its old self. Tuesday was my latest blood test. Can I have much blood left in me by now? Apparently I have a problem with both white and red blood cell counts, which might explain why I am so tired that getting up and getting dressed feels like climbing Everest - with no oxygen and no Sherpa support.

No comments:
Post a Comment