Thursday 24 March 2022

My Part in the School - Memorial Invitation

We Quordle and Wordle every morning - and share our triumphs, failures and excuses with family and friends on facebook. Col beat me Wednesday morning, but only just.

I am a householder in the Ministry school this week - though I have reversed the parts in my dialogue below. We are offering the invitation to the Memorial of Jesus' death, and it is a 2 minute part - we are working on enthusiasm.

Sue:  Hello, I’m ringing to invite you to a special event that will be attended by millions all over the world.  It’s the anniversary of Jesus’ death.  And I also want to invite you to a special talk.  It’s entitled:  Where can you find real hope?”

HH:   Oh. That’s kind of you, but I’m afraid I’m pretty much housebound these days, I really only go out for medical appointments.


Sue:  I am sorry to hear that.  I hope you are coping alright.


HH:   Yes, thanks for asking.  I have a supportive family and am very grateful for the NHS. And I am sorry to turn down your invitation. It sounds intriguing. Especially the title of that talk.   I feel as if we all need something positive in our lives these days.


Sue: Absolutely.  It is going to be such a timely talk.  And the Memorial of Jesus’ death  truly is a wonderful occasion, something we look forward to so much.  Can I ask you if you are familiar with the internet, with Zoom?


HH:  Yes. In fact we talk to the Australian branch of the family in Zoom every week.


Sue:   Great.  Because, due to the fact that we are not yet out of the woods Covid-wise, our invitations this year, as last year, are to join us via Zoom.  Would you like to consider that?  Your family would be so welcome too.


HH:  What a good idea.  Yes, I think I would. And I will ask them.


Sue:  It would be lovely if you could.  The Memorial is going to be held on Friday the 15th.  And the talk, also in Zoom, on Sunday the 3rd.  Would it be possible to send you an invitation via email?


HH:  Yes, of course.  My email address is:


Sue;  Thank you so much, Sue. I will send it now. And I will also include a very short video that you can share with your family if you wish.  And may I ring you next week after you have had a chance to watch it, in case you have any questions after you have watched it - for example, why did Jesus have to die when he was such a good man?


HH:  Now that is a very good question. So, yes, please do ring me again.



I was out on the balcony this morning. It was really hot. And the Channel was so calm and pale that once I looked past the sparkles from the sun on the water, I could not tell where sea ended and sky began. I was reading an upsetting book - well written by a friend of mine, but on an upsetting subject - and I was very grateful to have the calm reassuring beauty of the creation in front of me.




No comments:

Post a Comment