Monday 21 March 2022

The Return?



This splendid butterfly - taken by Captain Butterfly himself in Corfu (I think) - is simply here as a reminder of the beauty and glory of the creation in "difficult times, hard to deal with". I can't think of a link.

The news from the Ukraine is awful. Awful. There had to be a better way to deal with whatever the problem is that started all this. But what does start these things?

Baldric, of Blackadder fame, explained the beginning of World War 1 in this way. He said he heard it started when "a man called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry" - an explanation which probably makes every bit as much sense of mass slaughter as the official one. And here we go again - as if the Ukrainian people had not already gone through so much.

We are still living in the tragedy that began with the loss of Eden. But not for much longer. Please see - and accept - the invitation which will turn up later in this blog.

We. the congregation, are resuming meetings at the Kingdom Hall from 1st April onwards - after 2 years of Zoom. The Covid crisis is not yet resolved of course. For example:

"In less than two months, Hong Kong has run out of coffins and space in the morgue. Pictures of sick elderly patients on hospital beds outdoors – and of body bags piling up next to patients in a chaotic hospital ward – have shocked the population. In recent days Hong Kong has had the highest mortality rate since the beginning of the pandemic anywhere in the world. What’s more, there are fewer and fewer people left to ask the authorities hard questions – accountability has never felt further out of reach."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/18/hong-kong-covid-surge-vaccination-rates

It seems from the article that the vaccination rate there is low.  And of course the new variant - Omicron - is more infectious than the old.  

I am grateful to the government here for their efficient and speedy vaccination programme.   However, on talking it over with my better half - the Captain himself - I have decided to hold off on The Return for the moment, and stick with Zoom.  They treat my arthritis with a powerful med that lowers my immune system, so I think i would rather wait until I have had my next booster.

I feel a bit of a wimp though as I am as fully vaccinated as is possible at the moment. If only I was sure that my immune system would attack Covid as fiercely as it attacks me I would feel full of confidence. But...

We are not resuming the door to door preaching work, as we feel that a lot of people would not be happy talking to us at the door yet.  But we continue reaching out in every other way we can. And at the moment we are issuing invitations to the Memorial of Jesus' death - invitations to join us in Zoom.  So please do.


It's not yet 8 o clock in the morning (as I start this blog), and I have already done my WORDLE and QUORDLE - and will have to wait till tomorrow for the next one - twitch twitch.  I did OK with Wordle, but it was touch and go with Quordle.

No comments:

Post a Comment