Friday 24 September 2021

Tom

There was another farewell on Wednesday.  We said goodbye to Tom at Worthing Crematorium.  It was a lovely simple service - elegant and appropriate - with family and friends speaking and doing the readings.  We had not known Tom and Jill for very long.  We met them in our retirement, through Jacks, as Tom and Jill were long term friends of hers - and now they are both gone.  It is very sad for Jacks that she was not well enough to go to the funeral.   But Adam came and it was nice to catch up with him and get an update.

Jill and I discovered we had the same taste in books just before she died. We shared many favourite authors.  And I would have loved to be able to share my own books with her and with Tom too. 

They were the sort of people the world needs more of - not less of.

I always wish that the Biblical hope for the dead would be explained at funerals, as it is so comforting.  And because of it, I am hoping this is not goodbye but Au Revoir.  I hope they will see this lovely earth again when the time comes for the resurrection of the dead.  Here is the promise:


          "Your dead will live.

My corpses will rise up.

Awake and shout joyfully,

You residents in the dust!

For your dew is as the dew of the morning,

And the earth will let those powerless in death come to life."

Isaiah 26:19


I posted copies of Disraeli Hall to Lilian and  Kathryn - and another friend told me she has already ordered it on Kindle. She wants to take it on her upcoming holiday. Which makes me feel that she must have found Gordo a good read.   She and Kathryn knew the house that is 5 Disraeli Crescent in the book.  They spent many winter Sunday afternoons with me and my siblings there back in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment