Sunday 12 September 2021

The Orange Zealots

Friday was a medical afternoon: phone calls to the doctor's surgery - on hold for 30 mins such is the demand - a phone call to my medical suppliers as I noted that I have double booked on Monday and their delivery may clash with my dental appointment, so I got the delivery re-assigned to the evening.  Only a 10 minute wait this time. Then I had to make an appointment with the podiatrist... nothing available till next month - oh and I had to make a blood test appointment - routine for next rheumatology appointment which is looming.

I am stressed out but at least it is done.  And I should get my new teeth on Monday - after 2 months of looking like someone who has been banned from all the pubs in town for fighting and brawling.  Not looking forward to another trip to the dentist though.  In the meantime I need to get on with my witnessing letters and also start writing my part for Thursday night. I have the 5 minute part this time!

So much of my life seems to be taken up with medical matters now.

Returning to these two prophecies in the Christian Greek Scriptures: "However, when you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near. Then let those in Ju·deʹa begin fleeing to the mountains, let those in the midst of her leave, and let those in the countryside not enter into her,"  (Luke 21:20,21)

And “Therefore, when you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken about by Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place (let the reader use discernment), then let those in Ju·deʹa begin fleeing to the mountains." (Matthew 24:15,16)

Continued from my previous blog...

"Surprisingly, Cestius Gallus and his soldiers left Jerusalem and started to return home. The Zealots chased after them. Now that the Romans and the Jewish rebels had left the city, Jesus’ followers had an opportunity to escape. Jesus had clearly told them to leave the city right away and not to take their things with them. (Read Matthew 24:17, 18.) It was very important for them to obey Jesus and leave right away. Why? Because within a few days, the Zealots returned and began forcing the people of Jerusalem and Judea to join their rebellion. Several Jewish groups fought for control, and the situation in the city quickly got worse. It became harder and harder to leave Jerusalem. When the Romans returned in the year 70 after Christ, it became impossible to leave Jerusalem. (Luke 19:43) Anyone who stayed in the city was trapped! But the Christians who obeyed Jesus’ instructions and fled to the mountains were saved. They saw for themselves that Jehovah knows how to save his people. What lesson can we learn from this account?"


I am not sure why the Zealots keep being highlighted in orange... they do not sound pleasant characters going by the way the Jewish historian Josephus described them. But it was the sudden (and inexplicable) withdrawal of the Roman army that drew them away from Jerusalem that meant that the Christians were able to leave the city.   Because when first the Zealots and then later the Roman army returned there was no escape..

And what lesson can we learn from this account?   Please please listen to our Creator, the God of Abraham.  He is having he good news of the Kingdom preached worldwide for a reason.  

No comments:

Post a Comment