Thursday 30 September 2021

Beautiful September

What a beautiful September it has been!  I spent some of Tuesday afternoon out on the balcony doing my studying.  We are in Joshua at the moment  - specifically at the city of Jericho.  The sky was full of grey-white clouds scudding along and the Channel was full of galloping white horses.  On Wednesday I had my third dental surgery. I no longer say "last", as I have lost confidence in the process ever ending, and am thinking of opting for the "missing front tooth" look.

Could it possibly become fashionable?  Will Kate Moss consider launching the look?  I have to hope so, as after my third bout of dental surgery I am not only still minus one front tooth but am now minus the infrastructure that was so painstakingly put in.   And my mouth hurts.

Once again, with all this suffering, you would think I would be very belle indeed. But, alas...

The news today has been full of the tragedy that befell young Sarah Everard who on her way home one night was waylaid by an off-duty policeman who pretended to be arresting her, handcuffed her, and drove away with her.  Her body was found several days later.   Poor girl.  Poor heartbroken family.  

I wish so much they knew, or will come to know, that our Creator promises that they WILL see their daughter again, right here on the earth.  I have spoken before in my blog about the resurrection promise, but I want to say something today about why we can be sure of the truth of the Inspired Scriptures, how we can be sure that Jehovah's promises never fail.  For example, to return to the book of Joshua which tells how the city of Jericho was brought down in a few days, by Jehovah himself, not by human power, not by a long siege.

And I found this interesting information on the JW.org website:

"In ancient times, it was common for attackers to besiege a fortified city. Regardless of how long a successful siege lasted, the victors would plunder the city’s riches, including any remaining provisions. In Jericho’s ruins, however, archaeologists found large supplies of food. In this regard, Biblical Archaeology Review states: “The most abundant item found in the destruction, apart from pottery, was grain. . . . This is unique in the annals of Palestinian archaeology. Perhaps a jar or two might be found, but to find such an extensive amount of grain is exceptional.”

According to the Scriptural account, the Israelites had good reason not to plunder Jericho’s grain. Jehovah had commanded them not to do so. (Josh. 6:17, 18) The Israelites attacked in the spring of the year, just after harvesttime when grain supplies were abundant. (Josh. 3:15-17; 5:10) The fact that much grain remained in Jericho indicates that the Israelite siege was of short duration, just as the Bible describes it.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2015847 

No comments:

Post a Comment