Friday 3 September 2021

Olympian Thoughts

We, the Captain and myself, have been watching and enjoying the Paralympics in Tokyo. The athletes always make me feel like a complete wimp, but then all athletes do really. I remember the horror of P.E.Lessons at school - or Gym, as we used to call it.   Looking back, as a child I used to run and climb and jump and swing off and over things outside school, but I was hopeless at school, and being shouted at by various P.E.teachers did not help really.

Though if they ever make Synchronised Sofa Sitting an Olympic Sport, I reckon I might be a strong contender for a gold medal.

Here are three things I am still waiting to see at an Olympics:

1.  The little chap who starts the Keirin by peddling slowly round while the racing bikes have to follow him - I want to see him surge ahead and win it, just once.

2.  The Pacemaker in any race leaving the pack behind and going for gold. That may have happened of course, but i haven't seen it.

and

3.  One of the competitors in the Freestyle Swimming race opting for breaststroke.

Disraeli Hall has sold some copies already, mainly from people who read and enjoyed "Waiting for Gordo".  Hurray!  Now I am not exactly rivalling J K Rowling, but I am thrilled.   What any author wants is for someone to enjoy reading their book and want more.  My aim is to make my books as readable as possible - to draw people into the world of the book.

And HOLD THE PRESSES  I made some banana bread on Thursday, so the freezer is well re-stocked.  But - more earth-shaking news - it did not turn out as well as it usually does. I think possibly because the bananas weren't ripe enough.  I usually make it when we have bananas that are so ripe they are no good for anything else. Clearly I jumped the gun (to use an Olympian metaphor).

As for what is happening in the world...  including frightening floods in New York - we just saw a news clip of water pouring onto a subway train... how desperately we need the Kingdom of God, and for His will to be done on the earth.   And it is so close.

Jesus, as the King of that Kingdom, showed us what he can and will do when he was so briefly on the earth.  Famously, he calmed the storm on the Sea of Galilee.  The winds and the sea obeyed him.  What human government can control the elements, the natural forces?  But the heavenly one can, and it will. All will come back into the perfect harmony that prevailed in Eden.

I hope I am there to see it.  I hope we all are.  Jehovah does not want any one of us to be lost. We are all his children, his creation, and He will help us every step of the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment