Saturday 24 July 2021

Baking Banana Bread at Disraeli Hall (or A Shameless Plug)

That hastily baked banana bread came in very useful over the last two days of family visits - and is nearly all gone.  I see another baking session coming up.  The Captain left this morning on his treasure hunt, early, having left me my breakfast coffee and oats all prepared and havlng left the kitchen spotless!  He is a gem.  Oh, and plus he spent time on both beach and playground  yesterday with two of the youngest of the granddaughters, along with another uncle. They were thrilled with both uncle and great uncle.

The eldest of the grandchildren - our great niece - has just graduated from Newcastle Uni. Congratulations Sam!   And how it takes me back to the young me and Captain B who were students there too - once - in the dim and distant past - a past that sometimes seems like only yesterday and sometimes like another life.

There was a violent thunderstorm last night, rolling round and round. We got the edges of the downpour, which everything needed.  Hopefully there has been no flooding but some is forecast.

And I got such an encouraging letter today from a sister in the congregation saying how much she loved "Waiting for Gordo" - and that she is lending her copy to family and friends.   She says, in part: 

"I thought your book was great Sue.  Very readable and really had me wondering right to the end."

What writer could ask for more.   I have only one reader so far for Disraeli Hall as its not published until August. But I got an early large print copy for Jean as her eyes are so bad now. She says she loved it and it also impelled her to research Benjamin Disraeli himself. She now knows more about him than I do.  

And my sister also encouraged me by reminding me that when we look at the increasing disasters in the world - the strange weather for example - we can remember Jehovah's promise, that he will "bring to ruin those ruining the earth".  This was written down in the Book of Revelation, so two thousand years ago. And back then would anyone have believed we could ruin a whole planet, let alone the only one we have to live on?   But nowadays... ?

No comments:

Post a Comment