Wednesday 27 November 2019

Ken

Our brother in law, Ken Reah, died on Monday evening - peacefully and at home.   Col and I opened a bottle of wine and spent the rest of the evening remembering him, under one of his lovely paintings of Endcliffe Park pictured above.

He was an intensely creative person - a potter, a painter, a maker of art installations, a teacher  One of Ken's pots is on display at the Bowes Museum, Durham.  His garden was his work of art too, as it had been my father's during his lifetime.

He had one novel published and was working on the next one when he died.  He and my sister had been editing it, which was all he could do, creatively speaking, in his last few days.
https://www.fantasticbooksstore.com/edge-of-arcadia-all-formats.html

He was a good cook too.  Great curries.   He made a wonderful sort of meat and lentil loaf called a Dutch Roast, and lots of tasty soups.     I think we first met him when he asked us round for a meal at his flat in Ecclesall Road.  And he has been feeding us wonderful meals ever since.  I should say "had been feeding us" I guess.  It all takes some getting used to.

We lived with him and my sister for a while after they were married, and then we bought the house next door. That is before we left for our 25 year stint in the Middle East.   So how long ago it all seems.  But also it brings it home to me how short our lives are now, how quickly they go.

We have quite a few of his paintings, but the one above has pride of place.

Ken was well over his threescore years and ten, but he found life as interesting and fascinating as ever.  He wanted to go on being with his family, his wife, his children, his grandchildren, his friends, his neighbours.  And he had so much more to do.

I think if I was allowed to say only one thing about Ken it would be how much he appreciated the gift of life, being on this lovely planet in this splendid universe.   And he appreciated it right up to the end.

This is what gives me a real hope that we will see him again, when the time comes.   He did not acknowledge a Creator, but he did love the creation.   And surely he would love to live forever in the restored earthly paradise.

And if his family loved him so much, how much more does his Creator love him, and miss him?

So I will end my blog with these words from the Book of Job.

" If a man dies, can he live again? I will wait all the days of my compulsory service until my relief comes.  You will call, and I will answer you. You will long for the work of your hands." - Job 14:14,15

If a man dies, can he live again?

The answer is yes.  Jehovah, our Creator, longs for the work of his hands - and Ken was the work of his hands. 

So, remembering that, we can leave Ken safe in "the everlasting arms", safe in God's memory, every hair of his head numbered - and hope and believe that he has the most wonderful awakening ahead of him.

He will feel so well when he wakes up again!


No comments:

Post a Comment