Thursday 21 November 2019

All us Old Boilers

A difficult week.  Monday morning was spent at the Hospital, seeing the Dermatologist, But he did explain to me why I have this eczema.  It is my immune system attacking me.   (And please, immune system, if you are lurking here, stop it, at once.)    The kind of arthritis I have is one of those immune system diseases like Lupus, where the body attacks itself.

My left hand is now swollen and painful. However I did manage to take Jean out on Tuesday morning for an hour of return visits, and make a couple of large fruitcakes before the hand went AWOL.   Its the Butterfly AGM on Saturday and a Cry for Cake usually goes out and I usually supply the fruitcake.

If its not wanted to on voyage this year, no problem, as I will slice and freeze it for the Captain's sandwich lunches.  It is a boil and bake fruitcake recipe from a Cranks Cookbook that Col bought for me years ago.  I have been making it for years, and it has never let me down. 

Jacks spent the day with us yesterday having woken up to find herself without heating and hot waer - her boiler had stopped working. Along, oddly, with her fridge.  Don't they usually choose the hottest time of the year to break down?  I know that ours did.

Anyway, it was too cold for Jacks to stay at home so she spent the day with us in our warm flat while her son and the plumber got the boiler fixed.  We had soup for lunch and a fish and chip supper. And Adam joined us for coffee after.

I have gone very deaf again - so it was all a bit of a strain as I couldn't really hear what anyone was saying.  And Captain Butterfly had two elderly ladies to look after, instead of the usual one.

It was a day of sad news too.  An old friend has died.   And news of my bro in law is so bad that it may only be a matter of days for him now. But it will be weeks at the most. 

All lives end in tragedy now - sooner or later.   But it will not always be like this. That connection, so fatally broken in Eden, will be restored.  And, then, as the Bible promises "your dead ones will live".

No comments:

Post a Comment