Tuesday 9 April 2024

Storm Kathleen and The Speckled Wood



Storm Kathleen was causing stormy seas on Saturday - and it was blowy.   But it wasn't cold, and so I did sit out on the balcony to do my Watchtower Study in the morning. It is a beautiful study article "Jehovah has tender affection for you".  

Col, feeling a lot better, both kneewise and coldwise, left early to do marshalling. It earns money for SUSSAR, which has to finance itself.  He then had a Moth Walk in the evening - well, not so much a walk but helping a group of people set up their moth traps in the woods. They chose such a stormy evening that not a moth was seen, beyond one Col found by the light of his torch.  But he decided not to go out a'detectoring on Sunday, so we had Sunday lunch together after I got back from the Kingdom Hall.  He had chicken veggie soup and apple crumble and custard.

Monday was two medical appointments - oh the joys of old age.  Blood test in the morning - yet another - and a face to face visit with my GP in the afternoon. He is a nice young chap I had never met before.  He was running very late, but he did examine me, and put my mind at rest about one worry.

Col kindly chauffered me to the afternoon appointment as it was not in our local surgery and parking is difficult there. And when I came out I found him busy photographing a Speckled Wood which was posing on the bushes in the carpark. Our first Speckled of the year.  See the beast itself in the photo above.  Once again, I wonder if they remember their caterpillar life. I hope so, as then it would be like one of those wonderful dreams when you find you can fly.

There was yet another storm blowing last night - I was up in the early hours taking some emergency painkillers (as I so often am these days) - and the wind was howling and the rain was lashing down. I don't know which storm it was, but I will call it Storm Speckled Wood for the moment.

We found we had made the national news this morning as our river has burst its banks.  They will be evacuating those who live in the basement flats along there - or so I assume. The warning for others is to stay above the ground floor of your house.

It has been storm upon storm and I guess it was just too much for the river in the end.  My bro in Sydney emailed a few days ago to tell us that the flood water in his area of the Northern beaches has reached the end of his street.

The weather is, of course, one of the many things our first parents found they could neither manage nor control when they made the fatal decision to cut themselves off from their Creator and go it alone.

But we know that Jesus has the authority from his Father to control the immense system of the weather, as he calmed that violent storm on the Sea of Galilee.  The account of it is at Mark 4:37-41.

It ends this way: But they felt an unusual fear, and they said to one another: “Who really is this? Even the wind and the sea obey him.”

It would greatly benefit us if we would think urgently about that - about who Jesus really is - as it is only through the ransom sacrifice of his perfect human life that we can have back the life, perfection and paradise that our first parents so tragically lost.  





No comments:

Post a Comment