Friday 15 December 2023

Another Review of "The Umbrellas of Hamelin"

 


Sue Knight has an unusual style, typified in the stories in 'Umbrellas', where a tension is created that causes rapid page-turning as the reader urges towards finding the answers to the mysteries. This is not a book to put down part-way. You are propelled, helter-skelter, into strange events. No spoilers, this is a book you will not stop until you reach the end.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Umbrellas-Hamelin-Sue-Knight/dp/1914060555


My lovely and kind reader has said that it is a page-turner. That he could not put it down.

What author could ask for more? That is always what I aim for, to draw my reader into the world of the book and make them want to find out what happens next.

And what amazing things words are, and the gift of speech is.  My only worry is whether I have used it right in these stories. They were mostly written before I knew the truth - Christianity being called "the way of the truth" - and the wonderful hope that lies before us.  At any rate, I offer no political solutions, so even back then I knew that we ourselves could not put the world to rights.  

What I didn't know when I wrote most of them was what the Bible said about God's Kingdom, the heavenly government that will restore the whole earth to paradise. 

There was a lovely sunrise this morning - the sky streaked with a delicate orange-pink, and the Channel a light and tender blue.  My morning was spent with a medical phone call - about my diabetes.  My numbers are up a bit - re the latest blood test - and I have to make a more concerted effort to control it via diet.

In harmony with that, I spent the morning making a large veggie/lentil casserole. It turned out rather well, even though I say so myself as shouldn't. Even Captain  B liked it. It seems all that time I have spent watching Masterchef was not wholly wasted.

The meeting last night was, as always, full of interest and encouragement and comfort. We are still in Job at the moment, and I seem to be getting so much more out of it this time around.

And of course I love the way that the writer of Job was inspired to describe so exactly the way the earth floats in space - and this was back at a time when the force of gravity was not understood, nor was the position of earth in space. Back then it was felt, understandably, that the earth had to rest upon something.

But the book of Job tells us this.  It says, of Jehovah, "He stretches out the northern sky over the empty space, hanging the earth upon nothing" - Job 26:7

Hanging the earth upon nothing. A perfect description.

No comments:

Post a Comment