Monday 31 July 2023

Rescuing Bruce





I watched a bit of The Secret Life of the Zoo on Sunday afternoon, and was very impressed by the way the keeper rescued Bruce the Praying Mantis from his dangerous lady with a pair of tweezers. They had been - well - courting for about 24 hours non-stop, and now that it was over he was perched on her back, about to try to make his risky exit. That is when she would usually turn around and eat him.

As they said, he had given his all.  I'll say he had!  And the "all" would have included his life if it had not been for those tweezers.

The photo is of an Australian Mantis on Col's thumb. It must be a lad I think, as it is small - and Col remains uneaten.

My short story about a trip on a canal boat is sort of finished and sort of not. Its structure is all there, as is its beginning and its ending, but it still needs quite a bit of writing.  It is the sort of story where nothing happens, so I have to make nothing something. If you see what I mean.

I had been thinking of attempting something scary on the lines of Elizabeth Jane Howard's masterly Three Miles Up.  But Bea said she would like something more light-hearted.

So there was my challenge.

The Captain and I had a walk on Friday afternoon - to the Doctor's, to deliver my BP results, and buy some paracetamol - a kind of classic Walk for the Elderly I guess.  And we walked back through Lobbs Wood. Don't let me stray off the path!" I said, clinging to Col's arm as we walked the 10 paces to the next pavement.  I think I may have watched too many of those videos about disappearances in National Parks in America - I know what happens if you stray off the track. 

Saturday was sunny - and the Captain came home bearing treasure.  A gold ring - not especially old, but definitely gold - hallmarked. 

The month of August is racing towards us at the speed of light, and soon I will be able to feel Autumn (my favourite season) in the air.  It must have been the wettest July on record here, but given the horror of the fires in Southern Europe, I am not complaining.  

And we woke up this morning to wind and rain and waves on the Channel. It is wonderfully stormy. The valiant dogwalkers are out on the Green, as I type.




No comments:

Post a Comment