Monday 20 February 2023

Pioneers, O Pioneers



Emily Dickinson, ‘A Light Exists in Spring‘.

A Light exists in Spring
Not present on the Year
At any other period –
When March is scarcely here

A Color stands abroad
On Solitary Fields
That Science cannot overtake
But Human Nature feels…

https://interestingliterature.com/2016/03/10-classic-spring-poems-everyone-should-read/

The poetry of Emily Dickinson was a discovery for me in my first year at Newcastle Uni, many years ago.  I have loved her poems ever since, and, as February draws to its end, this seems like a good one for the blog.

Will I meet her one day in the restored earthly paradise?  And if so, what will she be writing then?  


Captain Moth-Butterfly (who took the late February sunrise photo above) has had to dive into the local phone box and get changed into his SuperRescueman gear at lightning speed a couple of times this week.  All day Saturday they were out searching for the MISPER - missing person to you and me.  Not found yet, which is worrying.  

Problem:  There are no local phone boxes any more.

And I am not in Superwoman mode at all, as I didn't manage to get out on the doors even once last week.  So tired.  Though I did help with the tea and coffee again after the meeting, and have signed up as a Pioneer for the next 3 months. It's under a new arrangement by which the minimum requirement is 15 hours field service a month, which I can usually do, plus.  So I am trying not to stress about it. People need to hear the good news of the Kingdom so much.  And it is so urgent.

I shopped on the way back from the Hall and got in the makings of a chicken casserole for my SuperRescuer who gets home tired and hungry from a day out metal detecting.  It turned out well.  And there is enough left for tonight, so all I have to do, cooking-wise today is to make a veggie soup for lunch.  We both have our Zoom sessions with siblings today, but otherwise I hope hope hope for a quiet day in.

There was just 3 of us siblings today, as one of us is off-line, a very large tree having come down in the recent storm and taken a lot of power lines out. And a man was seriously injured - I hope he has survived, but I don't know.  It was very close to home.  

We are still living in the wake of the loss of Eden so troubles are increasing - but hopefully not for much longer.




No comments:

Post a Comment