Saturday 6 February 2021

Buff Gold Dandies



There was a flock of goldfinch - a glitter of goldfinch? -  in our gardens on Wednesday afternoon - dining off the new buds on the trees we think. Which has given me another chance to post this great poem, which I wish I had written:

GOLDFINCH
by
Gerry Cambridge

That finch which sings above my head
last year's speckled egg, is now
a partner to some nest instead,
that finch which sings above my head,
buff-gold dandy masked with red,
and hen on eggs above some swaying bough
that finch which sings. Above my head
last year's speckled egg, is now.

I could also have called this blog FLOOD! as the bathroom cistern leaked and we found the bathroom awash with water.  The lino is drying out in the hall as I type this (on Thursday).

Thank God, it has not affected our neighbour below. We caught it in time.  The washing machine will be going non-stop as we had to use just about every towel in the house for mopping up operations.   And I suddenly realised, at the Thursday night meeting, that my Zoom background was rackload on rackload of drying towels. I had to hastily - and discreetly, I hope - re-arrange the kitchen.

We got to talk to Chuck and his daughter - Texas to Sussex - on Skype. And that brought back all sorts of memories from our expat days. Camping in the desert, weekends in Bahrain, house-sitting with kittens.

Who knows where the time goes?   And how short our lives are now.  How far we have come from the perfection of Eden.

However, here are some comforting words from Jesus himself.  When speaking of the time of his presence, the times we are ilving in now, after comparing them to "the days of Noah", he said this:

"But as these things start to occur, stand up straight and lift up your heads, because your deliverance is getting near.” - Luke 21:28

Our deliverance is getting near.  And how much we need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment