Thursday 14 March 2019

Leo Houlding and Spectre

We went to Horsham on Monday night to see Leo Houlding talking about the Spectre Expedition.
https://www.speakersfromtheedge.com/theatre-tours/lhoulding-the-spectre-expedition.

He is such a good speaker, and it was an amazing adventure - 3 men and 1 drone - well worth going.   I think less than a dozen people have ever seen the mountains he shows us. And how they managed to film under such conditions I do not know.

Am I the Right Stuff for such an amazing trek - manhauling and kitehauling sledges past the South Pole?    In a word NO.

For one thing there are no flush toilets in the wilderness beyond the South Pole.  No flush toilets!  No Gift Shop for me to buy my souvenir t-towels and fridge magnets in!  And no nice cup of tea available (with a scone or two on the side)!!

Nope, I am not the stuff of which explorers are made. And I never was, even in my young somewhat more fit days, alas.  But I have to admire those who are.

Tuesday was very stormy - the wind was actually rocking the car a bit - so Jean and I only managed 40 minutes before we had to run for home.  I say "run"...    We did have a couple of good calls though.   Yesterday I did a big shop for Jackie and for us.  And I managed some much needed housework, visited Maggie, and I guess that was about it.

It was the return of the Butterfly joke, and Maggie and I laughed together for about half an hour, though I don't think either of us really knew what we were laughing about. But hopefully we both felt better for it.  And while I was out that way I drove over to Grace and popped the current magazine, plus a letter, through her door. She can no longer come to answer her door, but asked me if I would continue to deliver them (the Watchtower and Awake! magazines). 

The Captain was off giving a talk about The Butterflies of Sussex, illustrated with some of his lovely photos. They treated him to a nice lunch.

He has left very early this morning for a dig somewhere in Hampshire.  He has taken his sandwich lunch with him, though I guess you are never more than 5 ft from a rather smart boutique deli out in the Hampshire wilderness.

The Brexit/Bremain thing meanders on with no conclusion, in its Alice Through the Looking Glass way.

No comments:

Post a Comment