Wednesday 7 February 2018

Goldfinch Redux

Goldfinch, Carduelis cardueli
After our visit to the Wetland Trust on Monday, I thought I had to repost this poem:

GOLDFINCH
by
Gerry Cambridge

That finch which sings above my head
last year's speckled egg, is now
a partner to some nest instead,
that finch which sings above my head,
buff-gold dandy masked with red,
and hen on eggs above some swaying bough
that finch which sings. Above my head
last year's speckled egg, is now.

One of the feeders was covered in goldfinches - exquisite creatures - "buff-gold dandies masked in red".  I wish I had written that line.
It was cold and sunny - a beautiful day.    We had lunch at the Trust: sausages and mash for himself, and frittata and salad for me.    Jean is back, but not yet up and running.   She may be able to come on Wednesday to Maggie.  Tuesday morning I did get myself out on the preaching work - though not to the group.   I was inspired by some nastiness on the internet, and wanted to show Jehovah that I really am grateful for his word and for his loving congregation.

Captain Butterfly took me out on a walk in the afternoon - my favourite one, to the River mouth and back.  Even that tires me now.  But I was reminded how great it is to be able to spend days together during the week, after all those years we were both at work.

He will be off out today, with his box of sandwiches, on his conservation work.

No comments:

Post a Comment