Thursday 28 March 2024

Storm Nelson



Storm Nelson has been blowing all day.  The poor Captain is down with a terrible cold - so has been home all day wrapped in a blanket, with me bringing him hot water bottles and hot drinks. I will be attending the meeting in Zoom this evening.

My car is still sick - and has necessitated a lot of complex phone calls today - poor Col coughing away. The previous garage who seem to have replaced a part they should not have are going to refund some of what they charged us.  Col's car is in trouble too - a broken window (don't ask) - that he is hoping to be able to fix himself.

The News is so awful - so awful -  that it seems almost wrong to blog about anything else sometimes.  Children are suffering so much - the children in Gaza, in the Ukraine, and those here at the (un)mercy of bad parents, our "care" system, and our secretive family courts.

Surely the truth of the Bible's warnings about "the world" - the current wicked system of things on the earth - should be more evident by the day?

On a very minor note, us Fantastic Books authors have had a couple of Zoom Sessions recently, trying to find ways to publicise and sell our books. It is not easy. Fantastic gave my book "Waiting For Gordo" such a fabulous cover that I know it would fly off the shelves in an airport bookshop - fly, ha! - by virtue of cover alone. But, alas, it is only the Megaliths of publishing firms that can afford to get their books in there.

We are all grateful to Fantastic Dan for publishing us - we all enjoy writing. And it is lovely having people enjoy what we have written.  Like when I make cakes - my only other creative endeavour at the moment - I enjoy the process of making them and knowing that others enjoy them.  

The Memorial and the associated Bible readings, which I have not finished yet, have set me thinking about how, in my Catholic youth, we used to take the bread at what we called "holy communion", but never the wine. Only the priest got that.  I never remember any of us questioning it. I certainly didn't. And in any case the answer would probably have been the usual "It's a mystery".

At the last Passover supper, "as they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf, and after saying a blessing, he broke it, and giving it to the disciples, he said: “Take, eat. This means my body.” And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, saying: “Drink out of it, all of you for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins." - Matthew 26:26.27

I don't take either now, which I hope to explain in another blog. But surely if you take the emblems, it should be both, not just one of them?



No comments:

Post a Comment