Friday 13 January 2023

A Part in the School - and Eye Trouble

I have a part in the Ministry School Thursday if my poor wounded eyes are equal to it. This cold we have both come down with has gone to my eyes. They have become so sore and painful that I can hardly see to read or type. I tried self help, as our poor overwhelmed NHS is begging us to do, and got some Optrex from the Chemist on Friday. I also soaked my eyes in a hot wet slightly soapy flannel for ages. But no use. So after the weekend I had to ring up the surgery - half an hour on phone, not too bad - and they were very helpful and got some eye cream to the Pharmacy straight away.

The eyes are improving. Thank Goodness.

And I had the second return visit in the Ministry School last night. The schedule for the worldwide congregations midweek meeting is here:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/meetings/r1/lp-e/2023/2

And this is my script:


Sue:  Thanks for asking me in.

HH:  Hello, yes, its too cold to talk on the doorstep. And I wanted to talk to you as I have been thinking about what you said last week about prayer and knowing God’s name, but it’s still hard to believe that there really is a God who will hear my prayers.

Sue: I am so pleased you have been thinking about it.  Be sure that our Creator sees and notes that you are listening to him. You are very precious to him. We all are.  And he himself teaches us how to pray to him and be heard, because he wants to hear us. For example let’s look at these words at 1 John 5:14.  Would you mind reading them for us?

HH:  Reads 1 John 5:14. “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that no matter what we ask according to his will, he hears us.”  

Sue: It says that whatever we ask according to God’s will he hears us. So what would it be important to know if we want Jehovah to hear our prayers?

HH: I guess we would need to know what his will is.

Sue: That is it. In other words, if we want him to listen to us - and we do! - then don’t we also need to listen to him?

HH: I had never thought about it like that. But, yes, that is only reasonable.

Sue: So where do you think we could find out what it is he wants - for us and from us?

HH: As you are Jehovah’s Witness, I think you are going to say the Bible.

Sue: Yes. Certainly, It is Jehovah’s message to us. Which is why we not only encourage people to read the Bible, but we also offer a free home Bible study. In fact I bought this brochure with me today, hoping I could demonstrate a study to you.

HH: Ok. If it won’t take too long.

Sue: No, it won’t, I just wanted to show you the first two paragraphs. The brochure is called Enjoy Life Forever - and I want to stress the word enjoy. Jehovah is the happy God and he wants all his creation to be happy too. Which is one of the many things you will find out about him as you study his word. And the first section is simply called “How Can the Bible help You? And it says (reads)

Nearly all of us have questions about life, suffering, death, and the future. We are also concerned about day-to-day matters, such as making a living or having a happy family. Many people find that the Bible not only helps them answer life’s big questions but also gives them practical advice for daily
 living. Do you think that the Bible can help anyone you know?

HH: I hadn’t really thought of the Bible as being a source of practical advice - not for us today.

Sue: Sadly, I don’t think many people do. And I used to be one of them, and yet I found as I began to study the Bible that it can help us in every way. And to look further into the help it gives us, would you read the next para.

HH: Reads para 1.
 What are some questions that the Bible answers?
The Bible answers these important questions: How did life begin? Why are we here? Why do innocent people suffer? What happens when a person dies? If everyone wants peace, why is there so much war? What will happen to the earth in the future? The Bible encourages us to seek answers to such questions, and millions have found its answers very satisfying.


Sue:  Which of those questions would you most like answered?

HH: it's impossible to say really. They are all so important, and so baffling. People say all sorts of things about death, and life after death, frightening things. And why do we keep attacking and killing each other in war? Will it always be like this?

Sue. Yes. Why indeed. And why all the confusion. Would like to know more about what the Bible says about this and also why we can trust what it says?

HH: Yes. Why not. I realise I probably don’t know very much about the Bible.

Sue: Your saying that reminds me of myself when I first began to study with the JWs all those years ago. I realised I knew next to nothing about what the Bible says, and yet I had had an intensive religious education. So I would love to continue going through this brochure with you. Could you spare me an hour, or even half an hour next week?

HH. Yes. Actually this time on a Wednesday is usually good for me. I should have the morning free and we can have a cup of coffee along with our study.

Sue: Thanks I will be looking forward to it.


And that is how a study in the Enjoy Life Forever! Brochure begins.  And it is freely available to all, in-person, conducted weekly in your home by a member of your local congregation, or on-line, via JW.org.




No comments:

Post a Comment