Saturday 24 December 2022

The Sally Poem

I must note that I have sent cards in response to the two flats who sent to us, and to  the two Peter's - to Peter, Barbara and Co, a Clouded Yellow and to Peter, Marie's husband, a Swallowtail.  I was best friends with their wives, both of whom are gone now.  Diana and I shared a flat in our Uni days, and Marie was a kindred spirit in the odd (to me) world of Planet Expat.  We never ran out of things to talk about. 

I would have loved to have shared my books with both of them.

I hope I will see them both when the time comes for the dead to be woken, but for all three of us that possible future lies our Creator's hands.

I also got a card off to Elizabeth who lives locally - a Comma butterfly.  We hope to meet up in the New Year, maybe at our favourite cafe which so far has survived... 

I was so pleased when a facebook friend in Oz asked me if I would re-post my poem about Sally on his page as he wanted to share it.  It is lovely when people enjoy what you have written.  So here it is, reposted here too: 

WALKING SALLY

Round and round the bushes

Sally rustles

Past picnickers and children

Sally bustles

Cyclists and grey squirrels

Sally hassles

Joggers and old ladies

Sally passes

On new grass and ducks bread

Sally grazes

On cats and Konkord Castle

Sally gazes

Bent twigs and giant sticks

Sally carries

Terriers and tomboys

Sally harries

Home again at sunset

Sally hurries

Up the slopes of Brocco Bank

She scurries

Hoping for her doggy bix

And marrow

And another walk in Endcliffe Park

Tomorrow.


Sally has been a long time gone, sadly. But it brings back memories of so many happy walks in Endcliffe Park, a ribbon of woodland, meadows, ponds and stream that can take you from the inner city to the moors at Ringinglow. And there is a nice cafe or two en route. Ken often used to stop there for his morning coffee, when walking Sally and her successors.

All are gone now. Ken - and the dogs he walked. But the trees they walked past are still there.

Our lives are so short now. Which was one of the things that started me really wondering as I approached my 40th birthday (and how long ago that was!). Is this all we are ever to see of this lovely earth? Is there any meaning to it? And the question I had always asked from when I was first able to ask a question: Why? Why is there anything at all? Where did it all come from?

And I had no idea until the two Jehovah's Witnesses who knocked at my door showed me the answers were there, in plain sight, on the Bible on my shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment