Thursday 12 May 2022

Climbing K2 by Sofa

And I am not climbing K2 unsupported either - plenty of cups of tea, and even a hotwater bottle one chilly Spring evening. This is definitely the way to do it.  The expedition currently towing me and my sofa up there is an American one, as I am re-reading Rick Ridgeway's The Last Steps: the American ascent of K2.

It's a good read - absorbing.  But what a dangerous mountain it is.  From my armchair perspective, I guess the only mountain more dangerous is Annapurna.  And I am not saying that anybody should be going up there.  It is effectively to play Russian roulette with a precious life.

Yet I can also understand the fascination.  But I intend to go on understanding it from my sofa.

It has been a very medical week: I have had: a Hospital appointment (Rheumatology) a blood test, ages on phone trying to get results, apparently have Vit.D deficiency - otherwise results all good - I have had a telephone consultation and my next dreadful Dental appointment has been moved forward to this week. So it is hanging over me, but hopefully will be over soon.

Its not the last one though apparently.  Plus I now have a broken tooth... and my hearing aids have suddenly packed up... so the dentist will be even more fun than usual as I will not be able to hear what he is saying.  I have got an emergency audiology appointment but we will have to go to Brighton for it. And that usually incurs a parking nightmare.

Part of "the glorious freedom of the children of God" will be the freedom from all health worries that perfect health will bring.  And what I keep telling myself is that the older and sicker I get in this system of things the more I will appreciate being in the restored earthly paradise - IF that is I am there.

We, the damaged children of Adam, have never yet known what it really is to be alive, in perfection, in the paradise earth. But we can and we will if we pay attention to our Creator, Jehovah, now.

In harmony with that and if I make it back from the dentist in one piece, I must devote some of this afternoon to my witnessing letters, telling people about the Kingdom of God.  I am so grateful that, over 30 years ago now, two JWs came to my door to tell me.

As Col's alarm clock went off at 4:15 this morning, I suspect I will also be devoting some of the afternoon to dozing on the sofa.


No comments:

Post a Comment