Friday 12 November 2021

A Farewell to Janet and the End of an Era



While I was in the Zoom meeting on Tuesday morning an email came through from Pen to tell us that Janet had died in hospital.  So another old friend, who I have known pretty much from my teenage years, has gone.  She was my Nute's friend really, but we all got to know her.  I am glad though that it was quick at the end. She was only admitted to hospital a few days ago.  Motor Neurone disease had left her unable to speak, unable to eat (she was fed by tube for the last 6 months) and she was losing the use of her hands, so would have no longer been able to communicate in writing.

It was so awful that we are glad she is now out of it.  

She was always a great haven for stray cats, and her last 2 are being fed. Someone is going in daily and frantic efforts are in place to find a home for them. Both my sisters, who have houses and gardens, can take them, and will take them, if necessary.   I wish we could. But we live a second floor flat, and these are indoor-outdoor cats.

The cats lives have been devastated too.  Its the end of an era for them; the end of the Janet Era for me and my siblings.  My brother in Oz  was saying he found her a bit daunting when he was a young lad as she was so attractive. Which she always was, though she would never believe it.  She was stunning.  I expect she was beautiful right up to the end.

The last time the Captain and I saw her was, sadly, at Ken's funeral.

I have picked a lovely Clouded Yellow butterfly photograph for this blog, in her memory.  It is one of Col's of course.

I hope that when the time comes, during the Thousand Years, Jehovah will wake Janet from the dreamless sleep of death. When he does she will find herself in an earth being restored to the paradise of perfection it was always meant to be.   It will be such a wonderful awakening for her. And, while the Inspired Scriptures have nothing to say about this, I can't help hoping that all her rescued cats will be there to greet her. She loved every single one of them. And for sure they loved her.

And Jehovah, our Creator, is love.


This week marked the end of my 10 year stint as Membership Secretary for Sussex Butterfly Conservation.  So another era ended.  I packaged up what should be the last batch of new members under my reign on Monday, to hit the post on Tuesday.  We have to hand over all the paperwork to the new secretary and I have to make out my last expenses form, but that will be it. I spent much of Tuesday, sorting and shredding, and emptying my Butterfly Filing Cabinet.

I feel a bit sad.  And I have had some lovely emails thanking me.  But its time for a fresh face to take over and maybe revitalise things.  And my energy levels are way way down.

A card of Autumn flowers from Kathryn cheered me up. She remembered it is my favourite season. And she also wanted to tell me she really liked Disraeli Hall too.  Which was a positive note in an otherwise sad week.

And I did my part in the Ministry School last night, with the help of my partner, who gave me all the right cues.  The Bible verses we were using was this lovely promise from Revelation 21:3,4, which says:

  • "With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more,+ neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”


This promise tells us what will happen on the earth under the loving rule of the Kingdom of God.  When the whole earth is a paradise, then our real lives will begin.  And I hope very much I will be there, the Captain will be there, my siblings will be there, and Janet will be there... I hope all of us will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment