Sunday 21 November 2021

A Bunch of Red Roses

Disraeli Hall has earned me a bunch of beautiful red roses!  It has done the rounds of 3 local friends, who all enjoyed it, and who have bought me flowers.    Once again, they say it kept them turning the page.  

My Smartphone continues to torment me.  It just pinged, which always throws me into a panic.  Apparently it wanted to tell me about "Anti-ageing haircuts for older women"!!!  

How double dare it?  What happened to that law of robotics which meant that AI machines were not supposed to attack and insult us people?

Captain B,  left very early on Saturday loaded down with metal detectors.  I devoted Thursday morning to making a big fruitcake for his lunches, and I added a slice for Jim.  It is another reliable Cranks recipe - a boil and bake fruitcake that you have to make in two stages, as you simmer fruit, orange juice, sugar and butter and leave to cool before you add the eggs and dry ingredients.

If you did not allow for cooling, I guess you would end up with scrambled egg cake.

Worryingly Col has had a bad knee this week - detectorist's knee in my opinion - and I was hoping he might take the weekend off.  But no.  I just have to hope the knee holds up.  He is not young either.  It is very distressing to think of him getting old and maybe no longer able to get out into the countryside, or even drive.   But - one day  - in the restored earthly paradise - I hope we will be forever young - and always learning.

He is off again this morning, with Jim. The alarm clock went off at 5.00 a.m. and they set off for the outer planets any moment now.  Col is in the kitchen driving the coffee machine as I type. He always does breakfast, while I do lunch and supper.  His current lunch is already made - sandwiches and two pieces of fruitcake, and hopefully, if the mince thaws out in time, he will come back to a cottage pie for supper.

I have my congregation Zoom meeting this morning, followed by a Zoom chat with my congregational siblings.  Then hopefully I will get something done this afternoon.  I have some correspondence to do, a couple of cards to send, that sort of thing. And there is always always housework.

No comments:

Post a Comment