Tuesday 24 August 2021

The Last Kingdom

 We are watching The Last Kingdom.  It is from the novels of Bernard Cornwell, who appears to have thoroughly researched Saxon/Viking England.  It is a fascinating period of history - but also tragic, as is all human history since the loss of Eden.  I have to close my eyes or retreat to my current book for some of the horrors.

But what interests me is that here we have "Christian" Saxons fighting and slaughtering Pagan Danes... both sides busy raising armies, intriguing against each other and killing each other.  What is the difference between them?   Isn't it rather like the ending of Animal Farm when the animals realise that there is no longer any difference between pig and farmer.

Both sides - Saxon and Dane - fight under pagan symbols too.  The cross, while a symbol of Christendom, is not a Christian symbol.  See this interesting article if you wish to know more: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1987605?q=cross&p=par

It is so important to know what Christianity is - which is to say to study the Inspired Scriptures, both Hebrew and Christian Greek (Old and New Testament).  

Monday was a quiet day at home - Col has been testing his repaired camera - we got the supermarket ordering done - and I got my studying for the day done - our fascinating and spine-tingling study of the Book of Ezekiel.  And instead of getting on with other things I re-read Richard Beard's "The Day that Went Missing".  I had lent it to the siblings and it came back to me on the last visit.

It is a wonderful and sad evocation of that missing day - the day his young brother drowned after the two of them went in together to jump the waves while on holiday with their parents.  How I remember those beautiful but dangerous Cornish beaches - and the way the undertow pulled the sand from under your feet.  They were only out of their parents' sight for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. And that was all it took. 



No comments:

Post a Comment