Tuesday 12 May 2020

My Virtual Talk (during the Circuit Overseer's Visit)

My part in the school, my first one in virtual space, takes place in the week of the C.O.'s visit...   two firsts for me, as I don't think I have ever had a part in the Ministry School during the Circuit Overseer's visit before either.

Anyway, I worked it out in my head, discussed it with my householder on the phone (she was very helpful) and have drafted it out on my blog.  Our Thursday night meeting always becomes a Tuesday night meeting when the C.O visits. I think on the Thursday, half way through his visit, he gets together with our elders and ministerial servants to help and encourage them.  And also, I am sure, to commend them for their excellent shepherding during the Coronacrisis.

I shall be witnessing by phone - but have to leave a contact card.  It is 3 minutes or less, and I am working on Study 6, which is Scripture application made clear.  I have the one Scripture to apply and make clear.

Here goes:

Ring ring.

Sue:   "Hello Jay.  This is Sue, from next door. I am ringing you to say that our supermarket delivery has arrived and the chill cabinet meals you asked us to get for you have all arrived safe.  No substitutes.   But I know you are on total lockdown like me, so if this is OK with you my husband will deliver them to you when he goes for his walk after lunch. He'll ring your doorbell at 2 o'clock and leave the bag on your doorstep.

Jay:  That'll be fine!  Thanks so much. I really appreciate this.  What strange times we are living in.

Sue:  Surreal.  It does make you think and wonder doesn't it?

Jay:  That's true.  I've even found myself envying people like you who have a faith. With all these people dying, everywhere, it must be some consolation if you can believe they are all now happy in heaven.

Sue:  So what you do YOU think about death Jay?

Jay.  That they are dead, that it is the end.

Sue.  Then you might be surprised to hear what the Bible has to say about that.  May I just read something from Ecclesiastes 9:5 and it says:  "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all". The dead know nothing at all. Or as, some translations say, they are conscious of nothing at all.   They are neither happy nor unhappy.

Jay. That really surprises me. So the Bible says that death is the end, not the start of a new life in heaven? 

Sue.  Yes, it says that our thoughts and feelings stop when we die.  But you might be equally surprised to hear what else the Bible has to say about death. Because if it is like a dreamless sleep, can there be an awakening from that sleep? And if so, where?    I would love to share a couple of Scriptures from Job with you, because they ask that question, and answer it.  Do you have a Bible?

Jay.  No.

Sue:  Are you on the internet?

Jay. Oh yes. All the time these days.

Sue:  Then let me give you a link to our excellent website JW.org and ask if you would look up Job 14:14,15.

Jay:  Yes, I'm intrigued. But I am just trying to find a pen.

Sue:  No, don't worry about that. I'll pop a Contact Card in with your shopping. It has a link to our website and I'll write the Scripture reference on it.   And I would love to know what you make of it.  Could I give you a ring maybe this evening or tomorrow.

Jay:  Yes. Why not?  But I think the morning would be best - I'm not up to thinking much in the evening these days!

Sue:  Me too.  Lovely. Then I will talk to you tomorrow. And listen out for the doorbell at 2 o clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment