Saturday 30 May 2020

Another Lovely Review - Waiting for Gordo


I have just received another lovely review of Gordo!  Very timely as I am busy worrying about the revisions to my next novel (that I will call "A present from Betelgeuse" for the moment, though I doubt it will be called that as then it would end up on the SciFi/Fantasy shelf, and it is neither of those things.)

It is a modern take on Rebecca, with my granny's house - a somewhat grander version for fictional purposes - featuring as Manderley - the lost Manderley.

I am puzzled by some of the changes my editor wants - though some of them I do agree with, and have done.   But a couple of revisions he wants just do not sound right to me.

Anyway, it was heartening to get this good review for Gordo:

"We've all read apocalyptic tales in which the mistreated earth exacts vengeance on humans, but this novella scores maximum points for several reasons. First, it makes its point using a microcosm, "Small Island", rather than the whole globe. Second, the (doomed?) characters are generally likeable and engaging and the divers love the natural world they're exploring. Third, the allusions to Hollywood super-heroines, the self-indulgent lives of rich ex-pats, Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin, and the Garden of Eden generate a cocktail that is both entertaining and thought-provoking. The protagonist, Miranda, prevents the golden cockroach in their holiday-villa bathroom from being swatted, and at the end we're left wondering whether the cockroach has saved her life... but the book ends in a delightful ambiguity. The theme of ecovandalism and waste is clear but not done to death, and above all the story is easy to read and thoroughly enjoyable. Few horror stories are so subtle and understated. I strongly recommend this little book."
.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/RSZUJUUC6H4N8/?fbclid=IwAR342qZQPe0fGJuud5hvWw3IXjRT5IlBshcyNR73dQRkNh44U-hq0Le4IqA

And I love that the writer found it easy to read and thoroughly enjoyable - I aim to keep people wanting to turn the page.  I want to keep my readers interested and to pull them into the world of the book.

The days race by, happily enough, but then I am by nature a solitary person.   We spoke to Jacks on Wednesday.  She is not well enough to go out even if and when they do release us.  And I have spoken to Jean, who is wondering about venturing into the world of the internet.  The Watchtower Society is gently encouraging us all to do so, as no-one knows how long our meetings will be in Zoom.

Our meeting on Thursday night was great, and I did finally manage to get my virtual hand raised  However, I wasn't called on. And I then managed to lower it again!

Today, for the first time since the Coronavirus lockdown began, the overflow carpark on the Green has cars in it.

I spoke in my last blog about the new heavens and the new earth promised in 2 Peter 3:13.   And they are exactly what we are praying for when we say the Lord's prayer and ask for God's Kingdom to come and for his will to be done on the earth

That Kingdom, the heavenly government with Jesus at its head, is the new heavens, and the earth under its loving rulership will indeed be a new earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment