Wednesday 6 May 2020

Don't Come to me for Safety Pins

During our family Zoom meeting on Tuesday morning - between the two Yorkshire branches, the Oz Branch, and us by the English Channel - we were reminiscing about our childhood and for some reason remembering the craze for autograph books in the 1950s.

The Hull branch remembered the nuns at school coming down like a ton of bricks on some poor child who had got this written in her book:
"When you are married and have twins
 Don't come to me for safety pins."

The anger would have been mysterious at the time I guess - you never knew what would set them off next - but clearly the mention of marriage, followed by twins, implied that S-E-X had taken place.

My granny wrote this in my autograph book, under a tombstone with "Andrew Jay RIP" on it:
"Here lies the body of Andrew Jay
 Who died maintaining his right of way
 He was right, dead right, as he sped along
 But he's just as dead now as if he'd been wrong."

There is a stern Victorian lesson there - but a good one. It is not always the wise thing to insist on our rights.

Lovely to have all the siblings in one room, even if in virtual space.

There is lot of talk now about how to get us all out of lockdown...  we cannot lock down the economy for ever.  But I am indoors for 12 weeks anyway, according to the letter I got.

A very sweet young girl called Emma from our local council rang me the other day to ask if I was coping in isolation and if I needed any help. If so, she could arrange it for me.  I thanked her for calling, and we had a little chat. She clearly wanted to find out how I was doing.

She will ring again next week.

Which doesn't really bring me to the question Who is God?  Except I guess I can go back to my convent schooldays and note that, sadly, in spite of the intensive religious education we got, they did not teach us this.

So, in our study, we would then ask this question  Why should we worship God?

The true God is the Creator of all things. He had no beginning and will never have an end.

Psalm 90:2 says of our Creator  "Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the productive land, from everlasting to everlasting, you are God."

From everlasting to everlasting... God is the one who never had a beginning.  He always was, always is, and always will be. 

Being a part of the creation myself, I simply cannot understand the concept of having no beginning. yet I can also see that for anything to exist all, that has to be the case.  If there is a Creator, an Almighty God, then he alone was not created, but he always was.  Which is as near as I can get to an understanding.

And we know there has to be a Creator, as we see the creation.  This immense awe-inspiring universe did not come from nowhere.  It was created.

The true God is also the One who inspired the Bible.  So he is the Source of the good news found in it. 1 Timothy 1:11 speaks of "the glorious good news of the happy God"  with which he was entrusted.

And it is glorious good news, and we long for everyone to hear it.

And since God gave us life, we should worship only him.  Revelation 4:11 says:  “You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they came into existence and were created.”

The next two question we would at look are:

What is God like?
and
Does God have a name? 








No comments:

Post a Comment