Saturday 10 August 2019

Maggie

Macolm phoned me yesterday to say that the valiant Maggie had died in the night.   And I can only be glad that it is over for her. When I saw her on Sunday, there was no spark, nothing. It was as if she had already gone.

 I did not stay long.  Talked to her a little bit, prayed quietly for Jehovah to help her, and sang her a Kingdom Song.   And I was thinking about her this morning, and remembering how amazed she looked when I sang "Its a Long Way to Tipperary" in Latin for her last year.  (Its the only bit of my convent schoolgirl Latin I can remember). Her mouth went round with astonishment.    ("As well it might" said Captain Butterfly, who is no fan of my singing.)

She has been so brave and so cheerful through all of it.  And she had such a busy and productive life.  A long and happy marriage - her husband Don was a great guy - they had four children - I don't know how many grandchildren and great grandchildren - a career in nursing  - and she was a witness of Jehovah, doing the Kingdom preaching work.

And she was so hospitable.   We were always welcome to call in to her house for coffee and cake after the Field Service.  She drove four of us to Brighton for the Convention every year - and then had to suffer being driven there by me when she could no longer drive.  She also used to drive me to Haysbridge for the one day Assemblies, and I used to enjoy the day out with her.

She now has life in the restored earthly paradise ahead of her, when the time comes for the resurrection of the dead.

Until then, she sleeps safe in "the everlasting arms", held in God's memory, every hair of her head numbered. And Jehovah will not wake her until the whole earth is under the loving rule of the Kingdom of God, the heavenly government for whose coming Jesus taught us to pray.

It will be such a wonderful awakening when it comes.

Here is a lovely reassuring promise from Isaiah 26:19:

“Your dead will live...
    Awake and shout joyfully,
    You residents in the dust!
    For your dew is as the dew of the morning,
    And the earth will let those powerless in death come to life."





No comments:

Post a Comment