Wednesday 26 June 2019

The Selectivety of Sharks

Having had a long and hot morning yesterday on the doors with the valiant Jean, I came back, passing Captain Butterfly, laden with sandwiches and a camera at every corner, heading out into the wilds of Sussex to chase the incoming butterfly herds, had some lunch (veg curry with lentil crisps - don't ask) and found myself dozing in front of "Sharks Over Miami" or "Miami Shark Attack" or some such title.

A swarm of lethal primeval sharks had been brought up from the depths by a tsunami - the old fashioned kind, a single wall of water - hitting the coast of, well, Miami I guess. 

And I noticed that there are a few advantages to being middle-aged not to say elderly. The sharks were only interested in attacking young ladies in skimpy bikinis.  Likewise the tsunami. It didn't seem that bothered about anyone else.   So I am thinking I could probably swim safely, and slowly, off the Miami shores, in my flowery bathing cossie.  The sharks wouldn't even notice me - nor it seems would the tsunami, should another one come along.

Though does the Japanese Whaling Fleet ever turn up off Miami... ?    perhaps I should stay out of the water, just in case. 

I hope Dorothy is safely back on South Island now, tired, but happy. She goes back to Winter of course.   Two of the coldest places I have ever been are South Island in Autumn/Winter and Amsterdam in the middle of Winter.

And I am remembering now how beautiful Amsterdam was covered in snow.   We wandered along the canals, stopping to eat those little hot waffles - Poffeln(?) - in warm canalside cafes.

We were talking about our travels in our expat days while Dorothy was here, and I think we all agreed that one of the hottest places we had ever been was Oman.

The Captain and I were a bit predatory and shark-ish ourselves last night, as he brought home a packet of fish and chips, which we shared for our supper.

The older I get, the worse I feel about eating all these lovely animals and fish. And I long for the time the Kingdom of God is restored - and we can all swim happily among the sharks. They will have nothing to fear from us, we will have nothing to fear from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment