Monday 10 June 2019

A Farewell to Cornwall

sunset over Penzance
We got back from a week in Cornwall Saturday afternoon, and I am very tired indeed.  We stayed in Penzance, high up with a terrific view of the harbour.

But I think it will be my last trip there - this side of Armageddon.   I can no longer cope with the terrain.  For example, the house we booked for the week was lovely.  It was high up in Penzance, with the splendid views across the harbour as mentioned, plus a charming cottage garden at the back, crammed with flowers, but it had very very steep steps, front and back.  And I was conscious that if I had a violent arthritis flare up the day we were due to leave, I would not be able to get out of there.

Will Cornwall still be here after Armageddon, all that lovely wild coast?  I ask because when Noah and his family came out of the Ark, the world they stepped out into would have been very different.

Well, who knows?  I just hope we are all there to find out.

And what I do know, as Jehovah has promised it, is that there is more happiness here ahead for us right here on the earth than we can now imagine.

I forced myself to go to the meeting yesterday, and am so glad I did.  But did little else.  Had a long chat with Bea of the North, and have been in email correspondence with my siblings, as I closed a circle by going back and visiting one of the houses of my childhood, the house my granny owned in the 1950s, and where I spent my earliest seaside holidays.

We sent the photos we took of the house to the family.  There are only a few of us left now who remember The House at Pooh Corner.

It set the standard of seaside for me. And I plan to blog about it with one of the Captain's lovely photos attached.

As we parked in the carpark, a large van drew up and loads of small children with surfboards and pink buckets and spades tumbled out and ran for the beach. They couldn't wait.

And I remembered the young Mrs.Captain who could not wait to get to the beach either.  But it did remind me that my past is as remote and ancient to these children as the high Victorian age was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment