Wednesday 27 September 2023

The Visit



It has been the week of the Circuit Overseer's visit and I thought I would share some encouraging points from it.  For example, he reminded us about Revelation 14:6, which says:  And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, and he had everlasting good news to declare to those who dwell on the earth, to every nation and tribe and tongue and people.

We are living in the events of Revelation now, and the worldwide Kingdom preaching work that Jesus foretold for this time is being done. And it is easy to forget about the angels while doing it as you toil down the street, finding no interest, or no-one at all, at door after door - or getting no positive responses to your many many letters, Yet Revelation assures us that the angels are deeply interested and involved. And they see behind the door.

For sure I was puzzling away over things on the morning that two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked at my door and began to show me that the answers I had been looking for had been in the Bible on my shelf all the time.  

Col's photo of the Regal Angelfish is a tribute and a thank you to all the hardworking faithful angels. 

At the Saturday morning field service, the C.O. read us Paul's words at 1 Corinthians 2:1-5.  Apparently Corinth was the Oxbridge of its day!  Which explains why Paul begins by saying: "So when I came to you, brothers, I did not come with extravagant speech or wisdom declaring the sacred secret of God to you. For I decided not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ, and him executed on the stake."

Here he was, in a city full of academics, and philosophers, who were probably expecting a lot of obscure jargon and convoluted arguments, but he was preaching the clear, straightforward message of the Bible, telling them about the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

And of course the truth can afford to be straightforward and logical - it stands to reason.

And then the question we need to ask ourselves: Am I always ready to give a witness?  I can see a lot of room for improvement here. A lot.  And maybe I can get back out on the door to door work, even if only for 15 to 30 minutes at a time, especially now the Big Heat has gone.  I can no longer tolerate the sun, yet I lived and worked in the desert for many years. It is amazing how age, chronic illness and its associated medications will eat away at you.

If I do, I will have to send a thank you card to the C.O. and his wife - and of course, above all, thank Jehovah, and Jesus for all the help and encouragement the congregation gives us.

And I do know that this Kingdom preaching work is the most urgent and important work I have ever done.  

The work upstairs continues, with banging, drilling, and hammering. The drilling in the worst, plus the worry that  a whole section of the roof might come down...  at which point this blog probably disappears in a cloud of dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment