Friday 15 September 2023

The Blue Underwing, the Clifden Nonpareil



We were out on the balcony Wednesday evening and Col said that with these Underwings turning up on our balcony, we might be seeing a Blue Underwing soon, especially as it was such a calm night for migrating across the Channel.  A lot of moths seem to stop off at our balcony for a rest after the crossing, and spend a cosy night in our Moth Hotel - there is an eggbox cup for all who come.

Sure enough, just before bed, one of the gigantic creatures turned up!  And Col got some great photos.  It is so lovely, clearly a work of sublime artistry and engineering.  But then Jehovah is the Grand Creator.

Jim popped in to photograph it yesterday evening - it posed obligingly. And so would I if I looked as lovely as it does.

The upstairs builders were quiet on Wednesday, after a noisy Tuesday. There was a little work in the morning, but nothing at all in the afternoon. They were simply not around. So I was able to have my usual afternoon Zoom session with a friend. Thursday was very noisy - lots of drilling and hammering. Col did well to be off in his detecting field in the Hampshire plains.

Our mirror and pictures will remain off the wall until we are sure it is finished. They are saying two weeks, so, on that basis, I am hoping for no more than a month.

I am feeling quite sick at the moment, which will likely be because they have doubled one of my meds. However I finally have an appointment with my GP, face to face, next week, so I hope to be able to discuss it then.  The weather, having cooled down, seems to be hotting up again, but today there is a definite feel of Autumn in the air.

Now. on Friday morning, we hope to get off early to do our fruit and veg shop - and we hope the builders might take the day off.  We did get off early and the builders got started on the drilling, banging and crashing quite early too.  I posted a copy of Umbrellas to Elizabeth, an old schoolfriend.


No comments:

Post a Comment