Sunday 3 September 2023

Ministry School (and a flare up)




I had the 5 minute Bible Study part in the Ministry School on Thursday night. The point I was working on was Effective Conclusion. It poured down with rain on Thursday, so that my HH did not come over as planned to practise this - she would probably have had to swim - and we practised 
on Zoom.

Those Zoom cameras! IF my new book should turn out to be a bestseller I will be able to hire Kate Moss to be me on camera. She could not look bad if she tried.

Anyway this was the script we enacted on the stage:


S. So, as we come to the end of this chapter, How you can get the most out of the Bible? we’ll go through this summary as a reminder. It tells us us that to get the most out of the Bible,we need to schedule time to read it, pray to understand what we read, and prepare for our Bible study sessions. Now would it be fair to say that scheduling time is difficult for you?

HH. Definitely. This commuting is wearing me out, and it looks like I will be having to do it for some time.

S. I understand, I remember my commuting days. Exhausting. But did anything in this chapter help you to see how you might be able to schedule some time?

HH. Well, I remember the little video we watched, all those young people saying that they too had found it difficult to find the time to study.

S. Yes. It's not easy for anyone in this stressful world is it - and there are so many distractions.  But do you remember how one of them said that they prayed to Jehovah to help them make the time and also to motivate them to want to study?

HH. Yes, and I remember one young lad saying that it helped him to think about the four directions we could consider when we read Bible verses. They were: to look up, that is to think what they tell us about Jehovah, look down to think what they tell us about his purpose for the earth, look to ourselves to see how we can apply it, and lastly to think how we might be able to help others with it.

S. Well remembered! That was good wasn’t it? I am going to try to apply that too. And I thought we might just look again at Psalm 119:34 Would you read it?

FHH Give me understanding,
So that I may observe your law
And keep it with my whole heart

S. That is a powerful reminder that we can do exactly as the Psalmist did. We can ask Jehovah to help us to understand his law and to obey it. And He will.  So just to look briefly at the review questions here: What will help you to get most out of the Bible?

HH. First would be to make time to read it regularly.

S. Yes. So following on: When can YOU set aside time to read and study the Bible?

HH. Actually I was thinking about this, and I am wondering if I couldn’t use part of my train journey in the morning or evening.

S. That’s a good idea. . And I think you might be surprised to find how refreshing that can be. And lastly, why is it worthwhile to prepare for your Bible study sessions?

HH. Clearly I am going to get so much more out of them if I do.

S. Absolutely. This is Jehovah’s loving message to you. The more you can take it in, the more you will benefit. So with that in mind I am wondering if we can both set a goal for next week - because the subject of the next chapter is: What will help you to keep studying the Bible? Can we both make time to look up all the cited Scriptures, and think about them in the light of those 4 points in the video - consider what they tell us about our loving Creator, what they tell us about his wonderful purpose for the earth, how we can apply them personally and also how we can use them to help others. If we do that, don’t you think we will both benefit even more from the very important study chapter coming up?

****
In harmony with that when I look at my Daily Scripture, my plan will be to use those four points.  For example, Saturday was:
This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.​—John 17:3.

So that tells me firstly that Jehovah is the only true God and that the one he sent forth, the promised Messiah, is Jesus Christ.  I was schooled in the Trinity Doctrine - a different thing altogether.  The verse tells us that Jehovah's purpose is to give us all back the life our first parents so tragically lost. It reminds me that I need to exercise faith in both Jehovah and Jesus if I want back the life, the perfection, the paradise that was lost (and I do!), and that I need to try to tell others about this, so they too can come to know that God is offering them back what our first parents lost.

Though I am having to tell people by letter, at the moment as I am having a very painful flare-up, right foot and ankle.  And am only just able to hobble to the loo. I am hoping it will not get worse.

The pic is of daffodils in Lobbs Wood - a reminder of Jehovah's purpose that the whole earth will become paradise, and also a nod to family and friends in Oz who are just heading into Spring as we head into Autumn.

One Aussie friend, Marcin, is embarking on a move - a fresh start for Spring. And I have a card and a copy of Umbrellas all parcelled up for him ready to be posted as soon as I hear he is safely at the new address.

No comments:

Post a Comment