Wednesday 10 June 2020

Zooming Along

Two Zoom meetings on Tuesday morning, one with my siblings in the congregation, and one with my siblings in Oz and Yorkshire.  All very encouraging, especially the prayer this morning, and the experiences.  But to what extent we are still supposed to be in lockdown I do not know.

My arthritis has me locked down at the moment anyway.

Apparently the statue of Cecil Rhodes will be the next one to go, but whether it will be torn down by an angry mob as happened in Bristol, or whether the powers-that-be will sensibly remove it first (from wherever it is?) remains to be seen.

I would neither erect statues nor tear them down - after all we are all the damaged children of disobedient Adam, so best not to put any of us on pedestals (we all have feet of clay) - but I do find the mob a terrifying thing, whatever its cause.

And after seeing those crowds and crowds of people all jammed together, all shouting, I am wondering if there are going to be any Covid consequences.  If there are not, then does that mean we have the famous "herd immunity"?  Once again, nobody seems to know.

There are a lot of statues that will have to go now, given that human history, since the loss of Eden, has been a tragedy.   And its all going at Armageddon anyway - every vestige of the current wicked system of things on the earth.  So why not stay away from the mob, and trust in our Creator with all our heart?  He will never let us down.

Schools remain closed.   I do see the difficulties for children and parents,  but also know that when I was a child I would have loved school to be closed - for as long as possible.  Mind you, it was a Convent, with nuns.

Its a pity about the school system though. Or the school system as it was then - I am talking 1950s here - the one thing young children want to do is learn. They are fascinated by everything - and can't stop asking questions.  Then you go to school and find out that learning about things is not only boring - when it had been fascinating - but it is something that you can (and do) get wrong, and get into trouble for.

And of course jamming children into large peer groups is a perfect recipe for bullying.  And I learnt that I would never be able to get along with people - even though I tried.  But I did learn to make my own little world for myself, which sustains me to this day - though it does not begin to compare with the comfort and support I can find within the Christian congregation - despite my being rather distant.

And I am amazed to find myself - in non-Covid  times - out there knocking at strange doors talking to complete strangers  and - most impossible of all - trying to make some kind of connection.   Am I good at it?  No.  But what we have to do is the best we can - try to teach as Jehovah instructs us - and leave the rest to him, to the power of his holy spirit.  He can achieve beyond what we can even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment