Saturday 5 October 2013

The Song she was Singing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-243946

This is about the recent tragic siege in the Kenyan shopping Mall.  The article begins:

"During the Westgate siege in Kenya last month, one of the iconic images showed a mother lying on the floor, protecting her two children. Her name is Faith Wambua. She was in the shopping centre with her nine-year-old daughter Sy and her 21-month-old son Ty when the attack happened.
Faith spent four-and-a-half hours playing dead in the mall while keeping her young children quiet, before they were all finally rescued by a Kenyan policeman, Iyad Adan. She spoke to the BBC's Gabriel Gatehouse about her experience that day:"

The article tells us that:

"At some point when they came too close and I could smell the gunpowder and I could hear the bullet casings dropping on the ground, then I knew we were finished.
That's the point when I started singing a song about the resurrection because I thought we were all going to die"

On the BBC News yesterday, the little girl sang us a bit of the song, and it is this, from the Jehovah's Witness songbook:

It is based on Job 14:13-15:   
"O that in She′ol you would conceal me, That you would keep me secret until your anger turns back, That you would set a time limit for me and remember me!  If an able-bodied man dies can he live again? All the days of my compulsory service I shall wait, Until my relief comes.  You will call, and I myself shall answer you. For the work of your hands you will have a yearning."

The chorus of the song is:

He will call; The dead will answer.
They shall live at his command.
For he will have a longing 
For the work of his own hand.
So have faith, and do not wonder,
For our God can make us stand.
And we shall live forever,
As the work of his own hand.

I always think of my parents and my granny when we sing this.  I hope that Jehovah longs to see them again, as I do, and that He will call wake them from the sleep of death once the earth is restored to Paradise.

How thankful we all are to Jehovah that our sister, and her two children - our young brother and sister - did survive. And we hope that God will remember all those killed, and they too will wake from the dreamless sleep of death when the time comes for the resurrection.


Captain B went to a reunion with old school friends in London yesterday.  And Ron and Lawrence, two of my brothers, visited me (with a bottle of wine!).  Lots of phone calls too - including two from Audrey.  The next load of Butterfly paperwork arrived.

Unfortunately I have regressed a bit healthwise and was back on my zimmer frame this morning.  I have had an arthritis flare up, so now my "good" leg is not operating well either.  I did manage to hobble about and get the chicken made for supper with Jacks tonight.  I have a stir fry rice to make this evening, but hopefully I will be a bit better by then.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue,
    i;m happy to see that you see in all things, Jehovah's beneficence, while i can't help seeing how helpless He is when all the sparrows are falling.and being smashed to death by evil greedy men. You are inspiring! i hope your mobility is improving and that we should be able to share some tea across the pond, some day, in reality or in the Coming Kingdom here on Eatth. Love and harmony, izzy ess of superciliousness, welland, canada GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE FROM THE DEVIL'S AGENTS.

    ReplyDelete