Friday 9 February 2024

The Week of Two Cauliflowers



glum cauliflower buds flowers to fractal shoots it's Romanesco

by John Anderson

https://www.poetrysoup.com/poem/fractals_in_every_floret_1370043

Hold the presses!  I got my shopping list in a mess and have ended up with two cauliflowers.  I will now have to come up with a couple of recipes to get them cooked asap.  But Wednesday was a cooking day anyway in that after my usual morning Zoom with a friend, I made an apple crumble, plus made up Col's packed lunch for tomorrow.

Thursday morning we were up early - the Metal Detectorist had to get to his Field - and it began to pour with rain after 7 o clock - monsooning it down. Will it be falling as snow further North, as they have forecast snow for this week?  Apparently it was. It has not been cold enough here for snow, yet.  Captain Butterfly rang glumly from his Field a couple of times - rain, rain and more rain, and two bits of gold found - but not by him.

I made a sort of cauliflower curry in the afternoon - using up the older of the caulis - and even doing that exhausted me. Though having had two reasonably good nights sleep has given me back some energy and I managed to get the beds changed, the sheets washed, and a trayful of marmalade muffins made to re-stock the freezer for the packed lunches.

And I finished my study for the Thursday night meeting. We, the congregations worldwide, are just starting to study Psalms - specifically Psalms 1 to 4.

The Book of Psalms begins:

Happy is the man who does not walk according to the advice of the wicked

And does not stand on the path of sinners+

And does not sit in the seat of scoffers.

 
But his delight is in the law of Jehovah,

And he reads His law in an undertone
 day and night.

 
He will be like a tree planted by streams of water,

A tree that produces fruit in its season,

The foliage of which does not wither.

And everything he does will succeed.


This is a lovely simple and powerful image - the tree planted by streams of water, reminding us that God's word is as essential to our life as water is.  I couldn't find a "tree planted by streams of water" in Col's gallery. But I did find one of a tree he took on his Galapagos trip, so I thought that might be quite interesting.

I am in the throes of some violent flare-ups at the moment - my "good" shoulder, then my right hand, then my right leg, and now my right hand again. I am going to rest everything as much as I can today, not even getting dressed.  I am back on my trusty Zimmer frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment