Thursday 15 February 2024

A Time Travelling Spider



Either a spider fell into a glass of wine, wobbled itself out, fell (through a timewarp) into an inkwell, and then, hitching a ride on the Tardis, arrived in Haysbridge and ran all over my Circuit Assembly Programme with its inky feet, or it could be that I tried to take some notes at the time.

It's very hard to tell.  But I need to know as we are going to be discussing what we learnt at the meeting at the Kingdom Hall tonight. And if I am to contribute anything I need to work out what my spider scrawl says.

The spider heading the blog was taken by Captain Butterfly, of course - locally. I thought it had a scholarly look about it.

The Assembly theme was "Enter Into God's Rest", and the theme scripture was Hebrews 4:11: Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest, so that no one may fall into the same pattern of disobedience.   

One thing that the spider and I clearly wrote is that we need to build and keep strong faith in Jehovah's way of doing things.  We only see a small part of the picture  - he sees the whole.

I seem to have written down "Habbakuk 8:8  Do not harden our hearts but let Jehovah motivate us."  Unfortunately Habbakuk has only 3 chapters, so either the spider and I got the book wrong, or the verses wrong, or I simply cannot decipher the reference.  Excellent principle though. In fact, without Jehovah motivating us and energising us, how could the worldwide witness to the Kingdom of God be given?  We could not do it in our own strength.  

I did not even know what the Kingdom was until those two Jehovah's Witnesses called at my door all those years ago.  So how could I have told others about it, even if I had realised I was supposed to be doing so?

It has just dawned on me, it is HEBREWS 8:8!  Which is about the "new covenant".  Now that makes sense though I cannot now remember the exact point being made, but clearly it was hard for some of the Jews of Jesus day to accept the new covenant, bringing Gentiles into the fold. 

And I have also noted Hebrews 12:1, which says: So, then, because we have such a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also throw off every weight and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

The sin that so easily entangles us is a lack of faith, a loss of faith.  We will need to trust in Jehovah with all our hearts more and more as the current wicked system of things on the earth approaches its end.  So we need to strengthen our faith now, by continuing to read and apply God's word.

So there are some lovely points to dwell on.  And I will also note that the closing talk was FIND JOY IN YOUR SERVICE TO JEHOVAH.

It would be easy to miss that if we were not careful, and get bogged down in all the difficulties and hassles and stresses of life as it is now.  Yet we only have to endure to "the end".  And that end comes either at the end of our own life, and our lives are so short now (I cannot tell you how quickly 70 plus years flies by!), or until the end of the current wicked system of things on the earth, at Armageddon.

After Armageddon, IF we have the privilege of being here, things will just get easier and easier. For one thing, we will be heading back to life, instead of dying as we all are now.  

So I look forward to tonight and being reminded of all the things the spider and I seem to have made illegible notes about. As an excuse, I do remember that I was so nervous about my upcoming part on the stage beforehand, and so relieved afterwards, that note-taking took a bit of a back seat. But I did listen, and was very glad to be there.

So much so that I am hoping to make it to the next one, via the Room for the Disabled.  I will be able to have my trusty Zimmer with me that way, and hopefully will not have the struggle in and out of my seat that caused me such a problem last time.


No comments:

Post a Comment