Monday 3 April 2023

Like a Lion




March did go out like a lion. The sea was roaring away on Friday, it was raining, and a big storm - Storm Mathis - had caused havoc in Cornwall. I guess these are Mathis seas we are seeing outside our window as I type this (on Friday).

As long as they stay outside...

The picture above (our calendar picture for April) is of the Thomas Heatherwick East Beach Cafe - affectionately known locally as The Rusty Hulk.  It does look like an immense wreck that has washed up, and I think it also looks like a giant croc basking on the beach - a long way from home.  

Either way it's fun, and nicer than a white box.  And you can have a meal there, watching the waves come and go. The sound of eternity.

When I think of being in the paradise earth, as I hope we will all be, I often think of myself on a beach or a cliff at sunset, watching and hearing the waves.  The "eternal note of sadness" that Matthew Arnold so beautifully described in Dover Beach will not be there then. Sometimes I almost feel I can catch the sound and the feeling that the waves will have then. One day... and only because of the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ, that gift of undeserved kindness that Jehovah has given us.

And it is the Memorial of Jesus' death tomorrow - at a Kingdom Hall near you, after sunset.  It is through the ransom sacrifice of Jesus' perfect human life that we can have back the life and perfection our first  parents' lost.  We can have the prospect they had, and also lost, of living forever on this lovely planet.

It is the most important event in the Christian calendar.  And it's also the only day that I have Captain Butterfly beside me at the Kingdom Hall, and can hold his hand during the prayers.

We are having a rainy start to the month.  It is Saturday as I continue this blog and the rain is pouring down. I have to brave it out to deliver the 4 invites I failed to deliver yesterday, due to the contretemps with the lift.  I did, but I could barely do anything else.  I had an invitation to go out to lunch, but had to cancel.

My dilemma on Sunday is whether to go to the Hall for the meeting, with the Special Talk, or to Zoom to it. I have invited people to attend from both angles, and think that the Zoomers are more likely to attend.  It is now close to the time i must leave for the meeting and I still do not know what to do. I have got myself all ready.

I would feel so awful if they did finally turn up at the Hall, and I was not there...  I did go. My invitees were not there, but I am glad I went in person. It was a lovely special talk and a powerful Watchtower.

And of the six people I invited, two did turn up, on Zoom. Which is great.

The Speaker really stressed the importance of prayer, of continually relying on Jehovah.  And that is something I need to keep constantly in mind.  If Jesus himself relied completely on his Creator, how much more so do I, a damaged child of Adam, need to?

If we rely on ourselves, aren't we are lost in the terrible currents of "the world" - the current system of things on the earth - and our own imperfect natures?


No comments:

Post a Comment