Sunday 6 November 2022

Remember, Remember - or Not?


Remember Remember
the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot...
Or not?



Maybe it would be better that we didn't remember it?  The above is a picture of our local bonfire - held last weekend, but the photo itself was taken by Col at a previous one,  He was away in Bavaria this year. The usual very loud and spectacular fireworks followed.

But would it be better not to hold such celebrations?

This is from the latest saga about the Imaginary cats, who like all creatures, are very scared of fireworks.

It's like Dunkirk out there. The Imaginaries are not amused. They've told me several times that they don't like fireworks, and I just haven't paid any attention.
Anyway, they should be delighted because even though they are shut in, they have their litter tray back, and their super-expensive cat food is in their dishes augmented by supermarket (semi) cheapo stuff. They've had a happy evening spurning the super-expensive stuff and eating the supermarket cheapo (in the hopes I will buy a case so they can start spurning it).

The poor foxes appeared for supper, scarfed it down like lightning and vanished. No playing on the grass tonight.

We are very selfish with our fireworks really.  At least we no longer burn a guy on the top of our bonfires. Though apparently at one bonfire this year it is reported they were planning to burn an effigy of our very recent and very short-termed PM, Liz Truss.

Can that be so?  It is such a nasty thing to do.  But then politics can make people very cruel.   And yet again I think how wise our Creator, Jehovah, is to teach us to be "no part" of them, to take no sides.

If we did, how could the Christian congregation, made up of people from "every tribe and nation and tongue" be united as one loving worldwide family?   If we started to take sides, as the world wants us to, how long would it be before "the world" (the current system of things on the earth) had us all fighting and even killing each other, our brothers and sisters?


The plumber turned up, on time, on Thursday morning and fixed the problem with my loo. 

We are all planning to be very careful with our heating this year as the cost of heating has increased so drastically.  It is going to be a difficult winter for many if we have a really cold one.

Healthwise we are both suffering. Col has a bad foot - a possible attack of gout - possibly due to over-indulgence in some lovely Bavarian food, wine and beer (well worth it, he tells me), and my left foot is so blistered that I can't wear a shoe on it, which means I am still on Zoom as far as the meetings go and still cannot go door to door.

That makes me feel guilty as I know how important it is.  I myself was brought in by the door to door preaching work.  Having come to realise that there was a Creator, I was looking for him, just to say thanks for this lovely earth really.  It didn't occur to me that in finding him I would have all those other questions answered.

But the thing is although I was really looking, all over the place, it never once occurred to me to go to a Kingdom Hall or to talk to the Jehovah's Witnesses.  It took them knocking at my door one morning to wake me up.  And I mean wake me up in the spiritual sense - they did not call so early that they got me out of bed!

So, much as I find it very difficult to do -  I am very introvert and the complete opposite of a people-person -  I hope I will be able to get back to the preaching work soon.  And before the pavements get icy!  If, that is, they do this year.  I have to be so careful not to fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment