Sunday 27 November 2022

A Sad Anniversary







It is now the third anniversary of Ken's death and Nute was saying that it has not got any easier.  She has done all the right things - she went back to work, when they asked her if she would;  she is working on her next book; and she is a busy mother and grandmother.

But the loss remains. And in spite of being so busy, she feels she has just been marking time ever since.

Above is a photo of their wedding day, and of one of Ken's lovely pots - I especially like the colour of this one.

I took my first tentative steps towards getting back to the door to door preaching work on Saturday.  I got into my normal shoes and drove myself to the group.  I did not go out with them, but it was lovely to re-connect with my siblings, and, all being well, it means I will now be able to drive myself to the meeting today, and get myself out on the door to door preaching work in the week.

I find it very difficult, as I am not one to talk to people at the best of time, plus I am a very nervous driver.  But I remain grateful to this day that two Jehovah's Witnesses took the trouble to call at my door in Sheffield all those years ago.  And it is so urgent.  I do not have a lot of time left, and neither does the current system of things on the earth.

Other than that and my exercises, Saturday was a bit of a cooking day, as I made a wokful of bean and veggie chile, and stewed some apples for Captain B to have (with custard) for his weekend puddings.

This is a Wendy Cope poem that really strikes home now that Col and me are so old:

On a Train

by Wendy Cope

The book I've been reading
rests on my knee. You sleep

It's beautiful out there -
fields, little lakes and winter trees
in February sunlight,
every car park a shining mosaic.

Long, radiant minutes,
your hand in my hand,
still warm, still warm.

So I have to add some more words - another poem - a powerful and perfect promise from our Creator, Jehovah, who cannot and does not lie:

"Your dead will live.
  My corpses will rise up.
  Awake and shout joyfully,
  You residents in the dust!
  For your dew is as the dew of the morning,
  And the earth will let those powerless in death come to life."
- Isaiah 26:19

Your dead will live.  Jehovah can remember them and wake them from the dreamless sleep of death, so my hope is that Nute is marking time, busily and productively, until the moment comes when Ken wakes up again.

He loved and appreciated the gift of life - and family and friendship and the endless possibilities of creativity. So he would love being in the paradise earth with the possibility of endless life ahead of him.

I hope we will all be there.




No comments:

Post a Comment