Friday 18 November 2022

Ms Bean arrives on the Platform

Poor Col is still coughing and coughing, but not quite as badly... we had a better night. The sun is shining today but it seems the North may be getting the torrential rain - I read of flood warnings for Scotland in the online news this morning.


I got back to the Kingdom Hall last night - helped by my chauffeur Captain M-B, who drove me to the door. My heel is still not capable of much in the walking line, but at least it let me wear proper shoes.


My part is below. It was a 4-minuter, first return visit, and I was working on: Scripture Application made Clear. I am a clumsy person at the best of times and when you add arthritic hands... and I had to juggle: a Bible, a Brochure, a Card, and a Script. It could have ended up like an episode of Mr.Bean. Mercifully, it didn't. Not quite. So my prayers must have been heard.


Pen attended, in Pixel form.


This was my script:


Sue: Hello HH, I am glad to find you at home.  I was hoping to catch you before you moved. But I guess you are very busy with packing and everything, so can you spare me 5 minutes this morning?


HH:  Oh hi Sue. No - that’s OK.   In fact I have been thinking about what you told me last week, about the idea of peace on earth. Because things are going in the opposite way as far as I can see - and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.


Sue: Well, if it is up to us to sort out our problems, I’m afraid I would have no hope to give you.   But if you remember I said last week that I would call back and show you a wonderful promise from our Creator, who assures us that he has not abandoned us to this. I bought this brochure to show you. It is an introduction to an interactive Bible Course and is called “Enjoy Life Forever!”  I wanted to show you this from the chapter entitled “The Bible brings hope” - as hope is what we need.   Under this question: “What kind of future does the Bible describe?, it quotes these verses from Revelation 21.  Could I ask if you would read them for us, out loud, really thinking about what they are promising us is going to happen here on the earth.


HH: Ok. Reads Revelation 21:3.4: With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”


Sue. Thanks HH. You read that beautifully.  Do you see that God will wipe out every tear from our eyes?  So what are those words telling us?


HH:  They are saying that there will be nothing to make us sad any more, no more suffering, no more stress, no more pain.


Sue. Exactly. Every tear.  Everything that makes us unhappy now will be gone, for good.  There will be no more sickness, old age and death, What do you think about that promise?


HH:  Of course, I would love it to be true. Who wouldn’t?  But how can I believe it?


Sue. Yes, it can certainly sound too good to be true, given what is happening in the world.  You really need to study the Bible to be able to put faith in everything it promises.  That is why this brochure has been published, to help people understand what the Bible says and why we can trust it.  For example, when we can see how many of Jehovah’s promises have already been fulfilled, it gives us real confidence in what he promises us will happen next.  We offer a free home Bible Course to all who want one.


HH:  The problem is we are just moving  to the other end of the country.  Otherwise I would ask you to call back and we could talk some more about this.  It is fascinating, 


Sue:  Yes, I know you are in the midst of a move and you will have so much to do. It is yet another stressful thing.  I hope it will go really well for you - you are moving to such a lovely part of the country, and that new job you have sounds great.  But please don’t forget what we have talked about. Please think seriously about it.  And we have an excellent website, JW.org, and you can find this publication, and have a look at it. You can watch the short videos that are part of it, which really do help.  Would you consider doing that?


HH:  I will, yes. But let me just find a pen and write the website down. 


Sue:  No, you don’t need to bother doing that. I have a card here with all the details. And I have written my email address on the back.  If you have any questions, I would be happy to help.


HH: Thanks.  I will do that. And I will find the time to look at that site.


No comments:

Post a Comment