Tuesday 8 February 2022

The Crisp Packet Poem



In the wake of another attempt at the "Crush the Crisp Packet" exercise:


The Crisp Packet Speaks

by me


I, the crisp packet,

can relax

given that her

who is trying 

to do me down

is as feeble as

Feeble McFeebleface

of Feebletown.


There is a Haiku in there somewhere if I could cut it back to 17 crisp syllables that will still make the point that, when it comes to the Crush the Crisp Packet exercise, the crisp packet is winning. But as I haven't the slightest idea how to achieve that, it is going to remain uncut.  

Nute and Jen were talking, via facebook, of snow in the North.  Hard to imagine down here, so far.  Saturday was cold but sunny.  And there were waves on the Channel.  Col's Sunday detectorist outing was cancelled - CANCELLED!!   He always detectorises on Sundays.  It was because there was some heavy rain forecast, and there were lots of mutterings about "big girls' blouses".  It did rain heavily in the morning, and there were waves pounding the Channel.  I love how perfectly they break and roll along.  The power of Jehovah's creation is very comforting.

There were so many comforting points from Sunday's meeting - public talk and Watchtower - that it's hard to pick one out. But here goes.  Our Creator is aware of our limitations.  He understands just how frail and damaged we are. And he never expects more of us than we can give.  I have found that to be so true. And with Jehovah's help I have found myself doing things that I never thought I could do.

As the Psalmist says:   "As a father shows mercy to his sons. Jehovah has shown mercy to those who fear him. For he well knows how we are formed, remembering that we are dust." - Psalm 103:13,14

On Monday, Col nobly took me for a walk to the sea.  I could not make it to the pier, but I was able to sit on the wall and watch the waves. The sun was shining on the piles that mark the river mouth, but all round was a wonderfully ominous grey sky - a snow sky had it been cold enough.  He took the photograph above.

No comments:

Post a Comment