Sunday 12 December 2021

In the Bleak Midwinter

Not that it is bleak exactly, or particularly cold.  It is a grey coldish day so far (8.37 a.m. as I start this blog) and the Channel is grey and fairly calm. And pretty cold I would imagine.


I found this poem for December:


AN INTERVIEW  by John B Tabb

I sat with chill December

Beside the evening fire

"And what do you remember",

I ventured to inquire,

"Of seasons long forsaken?"

He answered in amaze

"My age you have mistaken 

 I've lived but thirty days".

https://discoverpoetry.com/poems/december-poems/

Poor Captain B is limping along now, so we are a matching pair.  Too much metal detecting - not as young as he was - I say - but he won't have it, and roared off very early this morning to some distant field with Jim and the lads.  And who can blame him?  Just yesterday we were a young married couple...   Yes, we are in the Winter of our lives, yet we have lived but thirty days it seems.   

As the book of Ecclesiastes tell us, Jehovah has put eternity into our hearts.  We were originally made to live forever.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 says:  "He has made everything beautiful in its time.+ He has even put eternity in their heart; yet mankind will never find out the work that the true God has made from start to finish."

So we will never stop learning - wonderful things, new things. It is a thought to hold onto through difficult times. And we have the help of the Sunday morning meeting coming up, via Zoom. The title of the public talk is: A Cleansed Earth, Will You Live to See it?

I hope we all will

We had a long Zoom chat with Julia 1, and have an invite to stay with her again the next time we make it up North.   I have no idea when that might be though given the state of the Covid crisis.  It is not at all clear what happens next, whether we are heading for the mild flu-like version or yet another lockdown.

Time will tell. In the meantime, we continue to be careful.


No comments:

Post a Comment