Monday 23 November 2020

At Day-close in November



We had an outing to the Wetland Trust in Arundel today!  A rare excursion for me now, though it once seemed like a home from home - and, due to the Covid Crisis, we had to book before we went.  I managed to hobble around for half an hour, enjoying it all.  I shall illustrate my blog with some lovely photos Col took from today - and one, the top one, from yesterday during his brief outing to a local woodland.


This blossom (what kind?) by the new Pelican enclosure (no Pelicans as yet) was beautifully scented.  And below is The Hangar in November.



The weekend just flew by. We had the new arrangement after the Saturday field service group so we could all meet up in our separate groups, which worked well.  I have hosted one Zoom meeting so far and hope to do at least one other this week.  I can't say I am really getting to grips with this Whatsappery. Its a bit of a puzzle.  I spoke to Sue from next door today - by phone - and we both agreed that we preferred the phone as a means of communication.  

Here is a Hardy poem I had not come across before -  just right for the time of year.  

At day-close in November

The ten hours’ light is abating,
And a late bird wings across,
Where the pines, like waltzers waiting,
Give their black heads a toss.
Beech leaves, that yellow the noontime,
Float past like specks in the eye;
I set every tree in my June time,
And now they obscure the sky.
And the children who ramble through here
Conceive that there never has been
A time when no tall trees grew here,
That none will in time be seen.

https://www.oxfordlieder.co.uk/song/1430

And I was rather taken with this little notice:




No comments:

Post a Comment