Wednesday 24 June 2020

A Knight in Shining Armour (just a little tarnished)

Tuesday morning there was a monstrous beast in my shower.  I didn't have my glasses on but it looked like a large spider.   And it was. 

"Help, help, beautiful Maiden in distress" I screamed to Sir Butterfly.

He came galloping through on his white charger: "A beautiful maiden?!  Where?  Where is she?  Are you standing in front of her?"   

Anyway (after some indignation on the part of the maiden in distress), Sir Colinahad did charge in and slay the dragon - or at any rate cup it in his hands and put it outside.

My hero!

Post-spider I had two Zoom meetings - first the congregation field service and then an hour's zooming with my siblings.

What did I do on Monday?  The days just hurtle by. I did some studying, some witnessing, continued reading Bob's Report - we are in an intense internet discussion about it.  And I managed a bit of editing work for my publisher - just checking some short stories (not mine) he is about to publish for typos.     And also I managed to get 3 important sympathy card sent - thanks to Bea for her beautiful cards, as I can't go out and choose any at the moment.  Its always hard to know what to say, but the important thing is to say something.

Col is sorting through family pics to find a nice recent one of Jo for her funeral.  Which of course we will not be able to attend.

Wednesday - very sunny as predicted - and I have done my 30 minutes balcony sunshine early.  I took the John Bayley collection "Hand Luggage" out with me.  Its an odd and interesting collection of poetry and prose.

Here is one from the poet Randall Jarrell,  He was in the US airforce during WW2 - he had experienced war..

A War
by Randall Jarrell

There set out, slowly, for a Different World,
At four, on winter mornings, different legs...
You can't break eggs without making an omelette
- That's what they tell the eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment