Monday 8 July 2019

Love Never Fails

I spent Friday and Sunday at the "Love Never Fails" Convention in Brighton.  I can't manage 3 consecutive days any more, but as I found one of the American Conventions posted on Youtube - thanks so much to whoever posted it - I was able to watch the Saturday session at home.

The whole Convention was based on the perfect description of love in 1 Corinthians 13.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a clanging gong or a clashing cymbal.  And if I have the gift of prophecy and understand all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I do not benefit at all.  Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. It does not brag, does not get puffed up,  does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury.  It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with.  For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially,  but when what is complete comes, what is partial will be done away with. When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, to think as a child, to reason as a child; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a child.  For now we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face-to-face. At present I know partially, but then I will know accurately, just as I am accurately known. Now, however, these three remain: faith, hope, love; but the greatest of these is love."

Suppose that everyone in the world was doing their imperfect best to follow this advice - what a different world it would be.

I really do recommend the Symposium on Sunday morning.  Its the first item on this link:  "Remember How Love Behaves" - helping to show us how to action the advice in 1 Corinthians, with the aid of some lovely video clips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMxFPtd4Jh4

Millions of people, worldwide, are being taught Jehovah's loving standards. And the teaching is being offered free to all.   

This morning, the Captain and I realised, belatedly, that it was our wedding anniversary yesterday. We usually forget it, I must admit.  Would you like to go somewhere, asked the Captain. But in the end we decided that we would be very happy just staying in and watching Wimbledon together this afternoon and evening.  He has had a busy weekend too.

And so we have.  And its been a lovely restful day.





No comments:

Post a Comment