Monday 22 July 2019

"Life Ruins" by Danuta Kot

We got back from Sheffield on Saturday, having been 'oop North to attend Nute's latest book launch:
https://www.simonandschuster.co.uk/books/Life-Ruins/Danuta-Kot/9781471175909

She is also published as Carla Banks, and Danuta Reah.

The Launch was on Wednesday evening at the main library, and it went very well.  Helen (Reah Sharples) sang two lovely sea-related songs - unaccompanied!    She chose a Kathleen Ferrier - and also a poem by John Masefield that someone had set to music.

Both catapulted me back to the 1950s - so it was both lovely and sad to listen to them, as I am so much at the other end of my life now.

Helen has such a great voice.  If only I could sing...  hopefully, when Jehovah restores me (and I should say if and when He does), then I too will have a great voice, in my own way.  At the moment, if I were to stand in front of a crowded library audience and belt out "I must go down to the sea again" my audience would say, as one, "We couldn't agree more" and head seawards via the door marked "Exit" at the speed of light.

Nute read a couple of scary extracts from "Life Ruins", and answered questions, quite a lot.  One of them was from me. I wanted to know if she had been down those tunnels herself, and was rather relieved to hear she had not.  As I said, it was scary. 

She has set this thriller on the Yorkshire Coast, which is fascinating her at the moment.

Jen invited us round for the lunch on Thursday - an excellent veggie lasagne, followed by home-made strawberry cake - both wild and cultivated strawberries - from her garden.  Ken ate a really good meal, she looked after him so well. Her garden is a work of art.

And Friday we went to the John Ruskin Exhibition at the Millennium Gallery - recommended to us by both Bea and Jen.  It was very interesting and I am now a Ruskin fan. However, it was no good for Ken, as his eyes can no longer cope with the dark of the Gallery. So we had a short stay and then had a meal at the Italian restaurant next door. 

Is Ruskin the only man who has ever painted a strand of frozen seaweed?  My guess is "yes".

Then back home - on a sunny day - traffic not bad at all. And yesterday was Metal Detecting for Him and the Meeting and a couple of return visits for Her.  So we are getting back into our routine.   I have had a fail with my injection - the first ever fail.  The pain as I injected it caused my hand to jerk and the stuff sprayed all over, including a splash in my mouth.

Its pretty lethal stuff, so I hope this will not be the last blog ever... 

And actually no, I have just remembered it was not my first injection fail.  Its my second.  The first and most spectacular was when I got the contraption the wrong way round and injected my finger.

There is going to be so much work in restoriing me to the life and perfection that our first parents had.  But I know that Jehovah can do it.  And only Jehovah, and only through the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

And this is what everyone on earth urgently needs to know.  I hope I will be able to report that I am back out on the doors.



No comments:

Post a Comment