Wednesday 28 November 2018

D E S M O N D. Dismal

Today we have been at my DESMOND Course (Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed).     I say Dismal rather unfairly as it was an excellent course - everyone so diagnosed should go on one - and even more importantly, all those who are told they are pre-diabetic should go on one.   Insist on it.    They really do explain what the problem is, and what you must do about it.

And it was run by two lovely girls - one a pretty young mum with diabetes herself, and the other a stunning girl with long black curly hair.  Col was enthralled.   They explained and taught us very well, and though it was a full day, it went quickly.

Dismal though because it means such a change in my life.    What I like to eat are carbs and fruit - I can live quite happily without meat, fish and eggs.  And they seem to want us to eat fish twice a week - oily fish. It will have to be salmon  - and I am not a lover of salmon, unless the poor creature has just been pulled from the icy waters of South Island, New Zealand.

My breakfast is Ok as is.   And if I stick to veggie soup for lunch that is OK too.  But that is going to be a dismal business without bread or potatoes.  As for the evening meal - salad with tinned salmon and beans I guess.  The poor old Captain is going to get very tired of it, as I doubt I have the energy to prepare two different meals - not every night anyway.

And only 2 helpings of fruit a day.  I eat fruit obsessively, all the time. 

I know I should not complain.  This is a world in which thousands - millions? - of people live their whole lives never knowing what it is not to be hungry.  These are First world problems.

The best bet would be to look on food as the enemy, as something like medication, that has to be taken in a certain amount for my own good.  But not as something I expect to be much fun.   And I can remember being like as a child - even though my mother was a very good cook.  Food was something of a chore then.

I now have to do my best to return to those days.   And do I have to give up wine?   I only drink once a week, when Jacks is here, or we are at her place.  And then I do like a few glasses. But, perhaps I could make do with one and just quietly top it with water.

It is all very very depressing.

Anyway, tomorrow I am out with one of my siblings - we plan to meet up at the Field Service group in the morning and then, in the evening, its the meeting at the Kingdom Hall, which is just exactly what I need.  Thank God for the truth (Christianity being called "the way of the truth").  I puzzles me how anybody manages without it. Though,sadly, the truth is that so many don't.

On the plus side, Jean and I had a lovely morning out on Tuesday, catching up with route calls and return visits. 

Which reminds me, I also have to get more exercise.  But how?  I was talking to the lady next to me whose arthritis is even worse than mine, and we were saying how impossible it is. We can totter slowly about but that is it. Everyone suggests water exercises at the Pool.  But I can no longer get myself in and out of a swimmie since my shoulder replacement.   And Pools are so horrible slippery - I am just too scared of another fall.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.   What next?

Anyway, we are supposed to have stratagems for fighting this battle, and one of my mine might be to blog about my progress (or more likely lack of it), so you have been warned!


No comments:

Post a Comment