Wednesday 24 October 2018

The Arun Octopus

On Monday,Col and I went for a walk along the seafront. It is such a lovely Autumn.  He took some  photos, including (at my request) our octopus.
River Arun
Oyster Pond
And on Tuesday we spent the day in Chichester.  We went to the Pallant Gallery to see the Julian Trevelyan Exhibition - well worth a visit - I love his pictures of the Potteries, and the smoke-filled cities of my Northern childhood - and also the later ones he did of the Thames.

One of my many favourites was of the harbour at Whitehaven.  I sat (have to stop and sit a lot these days) and looked at it for a long time, thinking of an old friend whose home town it was.  Diana died almost 15 years ago. Is she sleeping safe  in "the everlasting arms"?  And will she see this lovely earth again, when the time comes for the resurrection?

And, if so, will the Captain and his Mrs be there?


Then we tried a new health food restaurant - Luckes - for lunch - salad and a Brie tartlet for me - and salad and an egg thingummy (I forget its name) for the Captain.  And I had a Vitality drink - beetroot, orange, apple and ginger - interesting and bursting with healthiness. Except at the same time being bad for my diabetes...  oh well.

Then we shopped, and I found loads of books. I am re-visiting all the early Ruth Rendells.  And I bought a copy of "The Day that Went Missing" by Richard Beard.

Oh Oh Oh. I bought it and read it on the same day. Could not put it down. I want to write to the author and tell him how compelling it was.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I0RU17G/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Now I have started on a  re-reading of Barbara Pym's "A Glass of Blessings", and must hold myself back from cramming it all down in one day.  I have shopping to do - for us and for Jackie - then Maggie to be visited and Jean to chauffeur - and then I am going out with one of the young pioneers, on the door to door preaching work.

No comments:

Post a Comment